Monday, April 18, 2011

Vegetable Soup

One thing that my kitchen lacks is a good big pot. On that is big enough for a nice batch of soup. I really must remedy this problem but it is so hard to find exactly what I am looking for, a really good heavy pot, none of this lightweight stainless steel rubbish. I want the type of kitchenware that we had when I was growing up. Nevertheless despite the lack of proper soup pot and despite the lovely weather outside I made a nice batch of vegetable soup this evening because my mother is sick. It is so simple to make and it can taste so good, especially if you don't restrict yourself to vegetarianism and add a nice bacon hock. So here is my very simple recipe for vegetable soup and I hope that all enjoy!

Vegetable Soup
 
A little olive oil
3 leeks
1 potato
1 parsnip
1 small butternut squash
2 carrots
1 small bacon hock
Salt and pepper to taste

First,  chop all your vegetables into small cubes.
Heat olive oil in the bottom of a large pot and add leek. Cook lightly, adding a little water if the leek is sticking.
Add all the chopped vegetables, bacon and enough water to cover well - about 3-4 litres or more.
Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer until the vegetables are soft and meat cooked through.
If you like, blend a little (or a lot) with a stick-blender, season with salt and pepper. Either strip the meat into the soup or leave whole in the soup pot.
And now you have soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!