Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pumpkin Bread -

Or, because I am in Galway, Butternut Bread. But that's OK, I always considered butternut to be pumpkin anyway. I'm not really exactly sure what lead me to decide to make bread with pumpkin but I looked it up and plenty of others have done it so why not? I had a whole pile of mashed butternut, and I felt like doing somthing different to the usual. I first figured that if sweet, spicy pumpkin pie and pumpkin muffins are good, and if banana bread is good, why not swap the banana for pumpkin? With cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice. But I never actually got around to that idea because then I thought why not make a yeast bread? Only that didn't seem to go with the sweet spicy idea. So I swapped that idea for herbs and here is what I got:

Savoury Pumpkin Bread

20 grams fresh yeast (or 10 grams dry yeast)
10 grams sugar (2 teaspoons)
10 grams butter (2 teaspoons)
300 grams mashed pumpkin, warmed
1 cup warm water (250 mL)
700 grams flour - I had to use a mixture of strong, wholemeal and plain white flours because oddly enough I ran out of flour!
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds

Combine gently the yeast, sugar, butter, pumpkin and water in a large bowl. Let this sit for about 5 minutes while you sift the flour.

Add to the yeast mixture the flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring each addition in vigourously, leaving the last cup of flour aside. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest for 20 minutes.

Stir the salt, thyme and seeds into the last of the flour (it is important not to add the salt sooner as it is not good for the yeast). Mix the remaining flour into the dough as well as you can and turn it out onto a floured surface.

Knead for 10 minutes. Flour the bowl and place the dough back into it. Sprinkle flour over the top and cover. Leave the dough to rise for 1 hour or until the size has doubled.

Punch the dough down (press the air out of the dough gently). Turn out of the bowl and knead very briefly to remove any remaining air - no more than 2 or 3 minutes. Now shape the dough into whatever you are wanting to bake - loaves, rolls, plaits, etc. Place onto oiled trays and sprinkle with flour (of course if you have a pizza stone of some sort use that instead and just leave the dough on the bench until the oven is hot). At this point you should turn the oven on to 230 degrees celsius.

After leaving the bread to rise again for about 20-30 minutes the oven should be nice and hot so quickly slip the bread into the oven and bake for about half an hour or until it is done!


Bonus point for this bread - it is orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!