Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spaghetti Bolognaise

Everybody has their own version of bolognaise, I have tried many and they are always different. My own I have been making for many years now. I make it thick and strong, all meat and tomatoes because I believe that real bolognaise shouldn't have vegetables in it, only on the side. Generally I serve brocolli on the side because it just seems to go well with spaghetti, and it adds a nice touch of colour. So tonight I made spaghetti bolognaise for the first time in I don't know how long and now I will share my recipe, just in case others want to forgo their own versions to try something a bit different instead. Also, I have discovered that over here they don't call it spag-bol. I always hated that word anyway but it is much faster than saying the whole thing. So is it just a New Zealand thing? Or is it an everywhere except Ireland thing? Anyway, to the point:

Spaghetti Bolognaise

2 tablespoons oil
1 brown onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon crushed chillies
400 grams beef mince
2 (400g) cans chopped tomatoes
1 cup water
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cube oxo beef stock (or 1 teaspoon beef stock but oxo is the best, it's the strongest in flavour, or you could use vegemite)
1 tablespoon beef bisto (or 1 packet brown onion gravy, or 1 tablespoon cornflour)
2 teaspoons each dried thyme, basil and oregano (or 2 tablespoons fresh)
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook on low heat until soft and translucent.

Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes, until fragrant. Then add the mince and cook, stirring, until browned. Carefully drain away the fat.

Add all the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down and keep simmer while the sauce thickens.

In the meantime set a large pot of water to boil, adding about a tablespoon each of salt and oil (the oil will form a layer on top of the water, to keep it from frothing up and boiling over after the pasta is added). When the water is boiling add spaghetti and cook for about 10 minutes, until soft. By which time the sauce should be good and thick.

Drain the spaghetti and add any final seasoning to the sauce (like salt, pepper, maybe more chilli, anything really). Pile the bolognaise on the spaghetti and sprinkle with cheese if you like.

And enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. This sounds good. I'm going to give this recipe a shot for dinner this evening. Thanks for sharing, Jaimie.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!