Sunday, June 26, 2011

World Famous Lemon Cheesecake

Now when I say world famous, I guess I should admit that it is my own world I am talking about here. Nevertheless lemon cheesecake is awesome and in general should be world famous and high on the list of best desserts of all time. Especially my one. I had been looking forward to making cheesecake for so long, I hadn't made one in about 2 years. This recipe is one that belonged to my grandmother but in saying that, it is far from any sort of family secret. I have seen other very similar recipes and I'm pretty sure that at some point 50 years ago or so this would have been copied out of the NZ Woman's Weekly or some other magazine. However, that does not detract at all from it's deliciousness, especially now that I have given it my own twist. I have been making this dessert for a very long time now and I always thought that the yellow cheesecake looked prettiest when decorated with fresh strawberries. Now, while I was away in Germany and also last year in Austria I noticed that they are real big on covering cakes with fruit. Commonly you would see a cake base, possibly with some sort of vanilla pudding, mounded high with strawberries in some sort of shiny jelly (to hold everything in place nicely I assume). So I have taken this idea and run with it, to bring to you all (if you all are actually any one at all that is) the following recipe. It seems long but really it is the simplest, easiest sort of dessert so don't be put off!


Lemon and Strawberry Cheesecake

Base:
300 gram packet plain biscuits
75 grams margerine
75 grams butter

Crush the biscuits really well in a food processor. To make the base I use both butter and margerine due to advice from a friend and my own experience, because using all butter tends to make a hard base that is difficult to cut but using all margerine makes a crumbly base that won't hold together. So use a bit of both and melt the two together, then add to the biscuits and press into the tin - for this you could use a round pie tin of 20-25 cm diameter or a square tin to make more of a cheesecake-slice. Put the base in the fridge while you work on the filling.

Filling:
1 packet lemon jelly
250 grams cream cheese
3/4 cup caster suger
Juice of one lemon
250 mL cream

First, dissolve your jelly in 1 cup of boiling water (not two as it might say to do on the packet). In New Zealand I always found that the cheap jelly was not very good, you want decent jelly to make an awesome cheesecake. Anyway, once the jelly has dissolved place it in the fridge for about 2 hours, until it is congealed but not set. It should be at least completely cold.

One important thing about cream cheese that I found out a long while ago is that for baking you can not use light or spreadable varieties - it has to be the proper full-fat regular cream cheese, or it will not set. An electric egg-beater or cake-mixer will come in handy here as you need to cream the cheese, like you would butter, gradually adding the sugar, then lemon juice. If you want extra lemony taste, add the zest as well.

Whip the cream until it is thick and then fold this into the cream cheese mixture. Take the cold, congealed jelly and gently mix this into the filling. Now you are ready to carefully spoon the filling into the base, and I say carefully because of course you may end up having too much filling. If the sides of your tin are not very high and it is going to spill over you can either save some of the filling for something else or do what I had to do yesterday and wrap a layer of aluminium foil around the tin to make the sides higher!

Now the most important step is to chill the cheesecake overnight. I once made this in the morning to be served that evening and it had not set, it was still quite goopy and made a huge mess. So chill it overnight and then in the morning you can add the amazing strawberry topping!

Topping:
Two punnets fresh strawberries (or however many you like)
1 packet strawberry jelly

First, as you did for the filling, dissolve the jelly in one (only one) cup of boiling water and set aside for about 2 hours until it is cold and slightly thick but still very liquid.
Chop all of your strawberries into quarters and pile them onto the cheesecake in any way you like, haphazard or nicely placed.
Slowly spoon the congealed jelly over the strawberries (again, if your tin does not have high sides you will make a big mess so best to wrap lots of foil around the cake just in case). You want to do this really slowly so that all the little gaps fill up with jelly.
Finally place the cheesecake back in the fridge for a few hours at least until the jelly has set!
.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaimie,

    I stumbled upon your blog while in search of self-saucing pudding recipes and boy oh boy am I glad I did!

    What a delicious looking blog you have and I adore your source of recipes. (Old cookbooks, "mum":)

    Thank you so much for sharing. I don't have time to nibble at that "World Famous Lemon Cheesecake" of yours right now, but I've bookmarked your blog and will be back soon. I'm also going to include your link for the pudding in a post I'm doing later tonight (June 26th) if you would like to see it. Louise

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!