Friday, September 23, 2011

Chewy Banana Biscuits

After a weekend of chocolate I wanted to bake something a bit on the healthy side this week and was intending to revisit a recipe that I have always thought needed a bit of something-extra, but everybody else seems to love it the way it is. A long time ago now I came across a recipe in the Woman's Weekly magazine (not sure if it was Australia or NZ) for biscuits using banana, which I had never heard of before! Only the first time that I made them they turned out very odd, they were sort of soft and they rose a lot; they were like something in-between cake and biscuit. At first I thought it was just the odd proportions of the recipe, which not only included mashed banana but also had butter and quite a lot of egg. Then I realised that the rising might also be affected by the odd habit here in Ireland of including raising agents in the plain flour and not telling you. So I began to experiment, especially after I read that banana can completely replace the eggs and butter in the mixture, which means that you can easily cater to vegans and the lactose intolerant. Last night I was intending on a bit of healthy, low-fat baking but then I realised that in fixing this recipe I did actually end up including butter, or peanut butter. Plus I had a half jar of peanut butter in the cupboard which really needed to be used before I just began to eat it by the spoonful. So I decided to go ahead with them because I really need to start using up all the bananas that have gone black. They might not be absolutely healthy, but then what fun would that be?

Peanut-Butter Banana Biscuits 

1 medium, over-ripe banana (sorry, I forgot to weigh it)
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar (about 220 grams)
1 3/4 cup plain flour (about 275 grams)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
100 grams chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepare a baking tray - I find that greasing it really doesn't work so well for biscuits and that non-stick baking paper is much better.

In a large bowl mash the banana and then add the peanut butter. Mix it up so that there are no big lumps of banana and then add the sugar and give it another good mix. It's sort of like the creaming method only you don't really need to bother beating it for any length of time.

Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt and add the chocolate chips (or chopped up chocolate). Mix it into a dough and I hope that it will have the perfect consistency, but it might not depending on the size of the banana.  If your mixture seems too dry and crumbly add a bit more peanut butter, or if it is too wet add a little more flour. It should be right though.

Roll into balls of whatever size you like and press them down onto the baking tray. These biscuits don't spread out too much so you don't need to leave a huge amount of space between them. For teaspoon-sized balls, bake each tray for about 12-15 minutes. I think the mixture made nearly 40 bikkies, but if you are making giant ones of course there will be less and you will need to bake them for longer. They should remain chewy because there is not too much flour in the mixture, but I'd say that they need at least 12 or 13 minutes to bake, otherwise they will not be so much chewy as just unbaked.


4 comments:

  1. I HAVE to make these! I hate throwing anything out so they are a great way of using up a leftover banana and how can one resist the combination of peanut butter and banana!!
    Nicola :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, a comment, how exciting! I hope that you really enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This combines 3 of my most favourite cooking ingredients!! Thanks! Can't wait to try them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know if you can replace the Peanut Butter with anything as my family can not eat it?

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!