Monday, October 17, 2011

Coconut Macaroons

There is a recipe that I have been intending to try out since before last Christmas and for some reason kept putting it off. In Galway last year was a Christmas market and one stand was selling the most amazing coconut macaroons. I had never had anything quite like them, they were these great mounds that were all soft on the inside and so coconut-y and sweet. The sign said that they were made with real coconut and coconut cream so that was my only clue as to how they were made and I have finally gotten around to creating my own version. There are so many recipes out there for macaroons that turn out not to have coconut at all, and all this time I thought that was the essential part. Then there are lots of recipes that use egg whites, others that use condensed milk and only a few that use coconut cream. Not only that but it seems that in some places you can buy desiccated or shredded coconut that has been sweeted. Nevertheless my macaroons got lots of nice comments so for now this recipe will do.

Coconut Macaroons

2 egg whites
2 cups finely desiccated/shredded coconut
1/2 cup coconut cream (the thick part that accumulates at the top of a can of coconut milk)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

First get the oven heated to 180 degrees celsius and line a baking tray with non-stick paper.

So the next step is the part that I might change in the future. What I did was mix together the coconut and coconut cream seperately to the other ingredients. However my coconut was not finely desiccated so I think in the future if I cannot get finer stuff I will process it briefly before mixing it in.

In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they are stiff. Continue beating as you spoon in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, then the flour and baking powder. I used normal white sugar but caster sugar or even powdered sugar might be a good idea so I will try one of these the next time.

Add half the egg whites to the coconut cream and fold until the two are combined. Then add the rest of the egg whites and fold that in too. I did it in two parts because the cream mixture was so heavy; I didn't want to loose all the air from the egg whites.

Finally it was time to spoon the mixture onto the baking tray. I wanted great big mounds so I used a large desertspoon and scooped the mixture so that it was roughly spherical, then dumped each ball onto the tray. Because they were so big I only made about 10 but you could make smaller ones if you wanted. I baked my macaroons for 15 minutes which seemed to be good but they could have been left a little longer and been fine, just crispier on the outside. I wouldn't bake them for any less than 15 minutes though or inside will be gooey from the egg whites and that wouldn't be good at all.


 So that is my macaroon recipe for now but I may update it somewhat in the future. This time it won't take me the better part of a year to get around to it either, they were so easy to make that I have no excuse. I reckon that I might dip them in chocolate the next time though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!