Sunday, October 23, 2011

Eggs for Breakfast

So what do you do when you have a bowl of egg yolks in the fridge after using all the whites in a cake or pavlova? You make scrambled eggs for breakfast! I've never been one for eating eggs or meat in the morning but on the weekend when you stay in bed till lunchtime it's far more appealing. I had a dozen egg yolks in the fridge and I figured that all that cholesterol should be manageable now with my gallstones all gone so after cleaning up the huge mess I had left with my cake baking I made breakfast for me and my housemate (even if it's lunchtime it's still breakfast if it's the first thing you have eaten that day). Afterwards she told me that it was the strangest scrambled egg she'd ever had, in a good way, so I figured that maybe I would share my interesting recipe. See, I don't much like ordinary scrambled egg and only ever have it when I have lots of leftover yolks from something else. I know that a lot of people are anti-egg-yolk and you can make omelettes and stuff with egg-white only but it's really not so bad to eat egg yolk sometimes I'm sure, so long as you have a balanced diet what's the problem? So for those that are not anti-egg-yolk, perhaps you would like to try my mostly yolk scrambled eggs. They have a very different taste and are much creamier than the usual scrambled egg.
Creamy, Herby Scrambled Eggs

Butter or olive oil
6 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
2 tablespoons water (you could use milk of course, I don't simply because I don't like it)
Salt and pepper (a good shake of each)
A generous pinch of mixed herbs
Another generous pinch of ground paprika

So scrambled eggs are really easy and one of the earliest things that I learnt to cook. You take your eggs and water (or milk) and whisk them together in a bowl. Season it however you like, you could use any herbs you like, dried or fresh. I stick with dried because that is what I have in my kitchen, and I like a mix but you could be selective and just have one or two types. Parsley is good with egg, as is thyme. If you like spicy food, you could switch the paprika for chilli powder.

Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan and then pour the egg in. If you are serving with toast now is a good time to put it in the toaster because eggs take hardly any time at all to cook. Use a wooden spoon to stir the egg about as it cooks and before you know it breakfast is ready! You want your scrambled egg to be quite dry, it should not be gooey or watery. This should serve two or three, depending on how much you eat and whether it is a side or your entire breakfast.


As you can see by the picture, I eat mine with hamburger relish. It's really good, I got the idea years ago from my friend's mum who would cook up tomatoes with I don't know what else to make a tangy sort of sauce to top the eggs with. For lack of that option, I resort to relish and it does the trick. Now, with the kitchen clean and breakfast take care of, it's time to venture out into the rain to get groceries so that I can keep on cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!