Thursday, October 27, 2011

My first ever blondies ...

I had never heard of blondies as a child, in fact even chocolate brownies were not something that I really remember having until I started baking myself. I think both brownies and blondies might be an american creation, but now the rest of the world has adopted them. Only most people over here assume that blondies are white chocolate, whereas actually they are no-chocolate and you use brown sugar to make a caramell-y cake slice. Somehow I had never got around to doing this before but it has been on my list for years. So this week's baking was blondies with a seasonal kick in the form of blackberries. I saw this on the internet once, blackberry blondies, and the blackberries were sitting on top and looking really good, but mine sank through the batter so I guess the ones I saw must have been baked in two parts. They were still really yum though, this recipe is definately a keeper. They were moist and sticky and sweet.
Blondies

For this recipe I simply took my classic recipe for brownies, took away the cocoa and used brown sugar.

180 grams butter (3/4 cup)
300 grams brown sugar (1 1/2 cups)
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
3 eggs
120 grams plain flour (3/4 cup)
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and grease or line a tin that's about 20 by 30 cm (like a swiss roll tin).

This recipe is incredibly simple and you can have your gooey delicious treats in just an hour. You begin by softening your butter in the microwave, then in a large bowl mix together the butter, sugar and vanilla. You can either mix it well with a spoon or use an electric beater, whatever is easiest. Then you add the eggs and mix them in well.

The last addition is flour, and baking powder if your flour has no raising agents in it. You could actually leave this out if you want heavy blondies but they don't rise hugely anyway so I would include a raising agent of some form.


Finally you can pour your batter into your prepared tin and this is the point where I added the blackberries. If you want to do something of that sort I would say any berries would work nicely, but remember they will sink to the bottom. You could sprinkle chocolate chips on instead or chunks of butterscotch. Or leave them plain.

Bake your blondies for 45 minutes and then you can either enjoy them straight away or save them for tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. HI Jaimie, Maybe if you toss the berries in a little bit of flour it will stop them sinking. Not sure but I think that works.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!