Monday, October 24, 2011

Simple Sunday Soup

This week's pot of soup is intended to make the most of my sad, tasteless pumpkin and to keep me fed throughout this cold and rainy week. If your pumpkin soup needs a bit of a kick, or for some odd reason you don't like pumpkin, combining it with sweet potato is the answer. The sweet potato taste mostly takes over and adds sweetness. I have included bacon because it goes great in pumpkin soup and I figured the addition of sweet potato doesn't negate this fact. Finally, the soup is curried because I always found curry powder to be a great addition to pumpkin soup. I was at a restaurant last week and they were serving pumpkin and ginger soup, so I figured I'd try that even though I'm not a big fan of ginger. It worked out real nice with the sweetness of the potato. Plus, over the dreary winter months, you should do your best to include lots of garlic and ginger in your food because they are both really great for your immune system and will help to keep you free from colds.

Curried Pumpkin & Sweet Potato Soup

Now, I didn't actually weigh out the vegetables so I'm making a very rough approximation here, but there was definately more pumpkin than sweet potato. In place of pumpkin you could use butternut, and instead of using the two types of vegetable you could use just one. But this way is nicer. So:

600 grams pumpkin, peeled and chopped
300 grams sweet potato, chopped (you could peel it if you want but I don't bother)
1 tablespoon oil or butter
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 rashers bacon, diced (my mum always made pumpkin soup with bacon but you could leave it out if you wanted)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder (I used madras)
1/2 teaspoon ginger
Salt and pepper to taste

Take a large pot and begin by heating the oil and cooking the onion, garlic, bacon and spices. When this is done (the onion should be soft and transparent) add the pumpkin and sweet potato and just cover with water. Pumpkin has a lot of water in it so don't be excessive with the water or you will have very watery soup.


Bring the soup to the boil and let it simmer until the pumpkin and sweet potato are soft, then blend it. Taste it, season with salt and pepper and add more spice as you like (don't be limited to just ginger and curry powder, you could try tumeric, coriander, cumin, chilli, loads of things).


Divide into four soup bowls and serve. If it is a bit spicy you could try serving it with a swirl of plain yoghurt or sour cream.
 (4 servings, about 200 calories per serve)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!