Thursday, November 24, 2011

Peanut Butter and Jam

Peanut butter and jam, or jelly if that's what you call it, is a great mix and everybody should try it. I love mixing sweet with salty and of course I absolutely have to transform all the flavours that I love into baked goods. I fist made peanut butter and jam muffins when I was going through a muffin phase in my second year of university and back then I thought I was being quite original. Turns out that recipes just like mine are in existence all over the internet and probably in muffin cookbooks everywhere too. But what does it matter whether an idea is origninal or not so long as you get peanut buttery, jammy goodness? I'm posting below my recipe for muffins, they're actually a bit more like cupcakes but I'm gonna let that slide this time round and call them muffins. I forgot to take a picture and this latest batch were actually really different because I had my head in the clouds and forgot to add nearly half of the flour! So they were very dense, moist little cupcakes and the jam sank to the bottom. They were really sweet too, probably because I topped them with raspberry frosting! My spellchecker just informed me that I've been spelling raspberry wrong all this time (I was writing rasberry?!). Woops!

Peanut Butter and Jam Muffins

1 cup white sugar (about 250 grams)
1 1/2 cups plain or wholemeal flour (about 225 grams)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
100 grams chocolate chips
125 grams peanut butter
3/4 cup milk (185 mL)
1 egg
Raspberry jam

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius. This mixture should be more than enough for 12 normal-sized muffins, even if you do what I did and forget to add a half a cup of flour. So grease or line a muffin pan and set it to one side.

Now, in a large bowl sift the flour and baking powder, then add the sugar and chocolate chips and give it a good mix.

In another bowl, mix together the peanut butter and milk. Of course, they won't really want to mix very well so you will need to heat it in the microwave (or on the stove) until the peanut butter has melted and it all can be mixed properly. Then whisk the egg into the liquid mixture.

Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix it by folding the dry ingredients from the bottom over the top of the liquid. Try not to over-mix, but as these are more like cake than muffin it won't be so bad if you do. What would be bad, however, would be to leave the mixture sitting after the liquid has been mixed in. The point of folding is to incorporate air into the mixture, but it will disappear if you wait too long so immediately you must begin filling the muffin pan.

Like all other surprise muffins, you make these by spooning mixture in to half-fill each muffin hole, then placing a teaspoonful of jam in the centre. Spoon the rest of the mixture over the top and then bake for about 20 minutes. I covered mine in raspberry jam frosting but I made it up as I went along and the consistency was not quite right, so I will not post a recipe until I have fixed it. Besides, if you add frosting they are definitely not healthy (they aren't really anyway, but we can pretend).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!