Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Best Pumpkin Soup

This was definately the best pumpkin soup that I have made. I have just one more serving of it left in the freezer but luckily it's gotta be the simplest soup I have ever made, so I can make more in pretty much no time at all! I saw a recipe on a blog and once again did not take down the details of it but I didn't really follow it anyway, just the rough idea, which was to use pumpkin that was already pureed, add barley and season it with sage. It worked out great and was fast, there was no peeling chopping pumpkin involved. Of course, in the first place there was actually a lot of preparing pumpkin, but now that I have lots of puree stored in the freezer it's all as easy as pie. So for a really simple and fast but really delicious soup to get you through cold, lazy weekends, you should definately try this one.



Pumpkin and Barley Soup

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon dried sage (or about 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage)
400 grams bacon pieces
400 grams pumpkin puree
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 cup barley
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saucepan heat the oil, then add the onion and sage and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.

Add the bacon and cook until it is browned on all sides. Then add the puree, stock and barley. Simmer it until the barley is soft and then season to your liking.


So this soup is really hearty and filling, it's definately enough for a meal on it's own. However, it's just not right to have soup without bread so I had mine tonight with toasted slices of a loaf of white bread with a swirl of basil that I had made earlier this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!