Saturday, December 24, 2011

Horrifyingly Good Chocolate Fudge Brownie

Why is it horrifying? Because it is so good, so amazingly rich and fudgy, that it just shouldn't be allowed. This was my pre-christmas treat; a few days ago my travels took me to the house of a friend, where I was allowed to indulge my food obsession by cooking and baking for her. The recipe comes from a friend, who himself has just begun a food blog that caters to gluten-free baked goods, called Spade & Spatula. After seeing (and tasting) how amazing this brownie was I had to try it for myself. The recipe I have written below uses normal flour, but the gluten-free version simply uses a pre-mixed gluten-free all purpose flour. For me, the brownie included chopped walnuts and was served with vanilla ice-cream - this dessert followed on from a main course of spaghetti, a recipe that I fall back on constantly because it's really amazingly yummy. So all in all, it was a really satisfying pre-christmas treat. It was just as satisfying the next evening, when more brownie was served for dessert after a main of stuffed chicken breasts and new potatoes with garlic butter, and was still good on the third day as picnic food at the beach (despite the sand). I must say, however, that I really don't much like walnuts, and while a bit of crunch is great I think I will go for some other nut the next time.

Chocolate Fudge Brownie

150 grams butter
200-250 grams dark chocolate (about 60% cocoa content is good)
330 grams (1 1/2 cups) sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
150 grams (1 cup) plain flour
25 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
100 grams chopped chocolate
100 grams chopped nuts (optional)

Begin by preheating the oven to about 180 degrees celsius and lining a tin (I used a swiss roll tin, about 20 by 30 cm, but you could use a round tin too, maybe 20 cm diameter?).

The first step for these brownies is to melt the butter and the chocolate together. You can do this using a double-boiler (a bowl sitting on top of a pot of simmering water) or just directly on the stove, low heat, or in the microwave. To be sure that you don't burn your chocolate you should melt the butter first and then break the chocolate up into that, stirring it until the chocolate is all melted.

In a separate bowl you need to beat or whisk the eggs until they are light and frothy, then add the sugar and vanilla and whisk some more! Stir in the melted chocolate, then sift in the flour and cocoa. Add the nuts and broken chocolate, then fold the mixture together until it is all combined.

Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about an hour. You can bake it for just 45 minutes if you want it really half-baked and fudgy. Then, if you can, allow it to cool completely before cutting it up and serving it. You should get 8 really decent sized servings from this, or a lot of smaller pieces!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, these brownies look great! (and I'm hungry right now lol!) Would love for you to share this at Healthy 2day Wednesdays this week and posts that fit every week until Saturday evening. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!