Thursday, January 19, 2012

Little Chicken Pies

Last night I made the yummiest dinner, and there is leftovers for tonight too. I made little chicken pies in my giant muffin tin, with carrot and onion and sage, and we ate them with mashed potatoes and peas, because that is the proper accompaniment for pies. I used frozen pre-made pastry sheets but if you would like to make your own pastry, it's not so difficult. I have no recipe of my own up yet, but I guess that just gives me reason to make pies again sometime in the near future. Or perhaps I should wait until Pi day. This recipe below could be used to make a large chicken pie, or about 4 or 5 small pies. In my opinion vegetables should be sneaked into everything that you make so I have added carrots but if this does not appeal to you I would also recommend peas or mushrooms. Now, I don't have loads of time to ramble because I need to get onto packing for my return trip to Ireland and saying goodbye to people, so let's just jump straight to that recipe.

Chicken Pie

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion
1 large chicken breast (or 2 small)
3 carrots
1 teaspoon dried sage
2 chicken stock cubes
2 tablespoons cornflour
1 cup water
2 sheets short pastry (or make your own)

Turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius so that it can heat up. The filling should be quite quick to prepare but if you are working well in advance, then of course you will not need to turn the oven on just yet.

The first step is to prepare the filling, because you should make pies with filling that is already cooked and cooled. Hot filling will make the pastry soggy. So, chop up the onion, chicken and carrots. Heat the oil in a medium sized saucepan, then add the chicken and vegetables and stir over a medium heat until the chicken appears to be cooked.

Now you need to add the sage (if you have fresh then that would be great but if not, dried is good), or if you want a different flavour you could try something else, whatever you please. Sage goes nicely with chicken though. Add the chicken stock and the cornflour, then pour the cold water over. Give it a good stir and keep on stirring until the liquid is thick and clear. Take it off the heat at this point because it really will just get thicker and thicker. Have a taste and perhaps add some salt and pepper, then set the filling aside to cool.

Whether you are making pastry or using pre-made, roll it out thin and place it in the pie dish or dishes. You could blind-bake the empty cases, but I'm not going to bother to explain how because I didn't bother to do it. Maybe next time. This time around I figured it would right and just went ahead and spooned my cooled chicken mixture into the pastry.


I placed the lids on top, tucked them in and cut a couple of holes in the top so that the steam could get out. If you judged the size of the tins better than I did then you won't need to tuck the top in, but I was being lazy and just making do. Bake the pies (or pie) for about 30 minutes, until the pastry is nice and brown. Serve it up with whatever else you are having and be careful because the insides were really piping hot!

1 comment:

  1. Cute blog name! Also- delicious looking recipe! I have a linky at my blog & would love for you to stop by sometime.
    http://cookingwithkaryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!