Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Oven Works!

After resigning myself to attempting to cook a proper, nice meal in the microwave, as opposed to the salads and sandwiches that I had been living off before that, the oven finally began to work. It didn't need to be fixed after all; turns out that the oven is connected to the fire alarm system here at my sister's house (which she knew about) and when there was a power cut awhile back, the system switched off. To make the oven work was as simple as pressing the 'reset' button! Now, this has happened before but when I asked my sister if she knew of any reason why the oven wasn't going she failed to mention the fire alarm system. I did wonder about the panel on the wall with the little light, but it's not like it's right next to the oven and I didn't know that she even had a fire alarm system! However, all's well that ends well and now the oven works. So I made pasta (my favourite, as surely everybody has guessed by now).



Cheesy Ham and Pea Pasta

250 grams chopped ham
1 bunch spring onions or 1 red onion
3 cloves garlic
250 grams ham or bacon
1 lemon
2 cups frozen peas
250 gram tub light cream cheese
Splash of milk
Pasta, however much you need of whatever shape you like best

Now this is a very simple pasta because at first I thought that I would be doing microwave cookery. There are pretty much three steps to making this (very delicious) meal.

One - bring a large pot of water to the boil, with a bit of salt in it, and then put in your pasta and cook for as long as it says to on the packet. I used big cylinders, like penne but much bigger, a shape which I had not seen before at the supermarket but it was exactly the type of thing that I was looking for. When it is cooked, take it off of the heat and drain it.

Two - while the pasta is cooking, chop up the onions, garlic (or crush the garlic but I don't have a garlic crusher here so I chopped it really finely) and the ham or bacon.


Three - heat a small amount of oil in a large pan, then add the onions, garlic and meat. Cook this for just a couple of minutes, until the onion is soft. Chop the lemon in half and sqeeze in the juice. Add the peas, the tub of cream cheese and a small splash of milk. Stir about until everything is hot and well combined. Then add this to the pasta (or vice versa) and mix it all together well.


Now you are finished! Serve it immediately before it cools down and congeals!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!