Thursday, January 12, 2012

Simple Summer Pasta

Here in the south of New Zealand it has been so uncharacteristically dry and warm that a cooked meal in the evening is just not always appealing. To that end, today I'm writing about pasta that I made about a week ago. This pasta doesn't have a cooked sauce, so it isn't as heavy as pasta can be. It's very garlicy however, so if you're not a fan then maybe this pasta is not for you. I'm running a bit behind in my writing these days, I have been too busy holidaying to keep up to date, but soon enough the holiday will be over and it will be back to using the kitchen as an escape from the dreariness of study. Don't get me wrong, I am still cooking, but I've been revisting past creations lately. Last night, for instance, I introduced my sister to quinoa with quinoa-stuffed peppers, and today I am using a crock-pot for the first time ever to make orange chicken casserole. Not to mention that right at this moment I am baking bread, something I haven't done in ages now. It is basically just normal white bread, but I have kneaded in roasted seeds and sprinkled more seeds and grated cheese over the top. It smells amazing! However, shall we get back to the pasta?

Fresh Tomato Pasta

4 to 6 fresh tomatoes (any kind, but not little cherry ones or you will need an awful lot more).
3 cloves garlic
Handful fresh basil
Handful fresh chives
Olive oil
Pasta

Now, as the title should make perfectly clear, this is really simple. Which is good because I have other things to be doing today so can't sit here on the computer for hours. This pasta dish involves just two steps, the first being to prepare the sauce. Chop up the tomatoes into small chunks and throw them in a bowl (don't worry about peeling or de-seeding them, that would be way too much effort). Crush the garlic and roughly chop up the herbs, then add these to the tomatoes. I honestly can't remember how much oil I added, but I'd say about 3 or 4 tablespoons would do it. Then just give the mixture a good stir and let it sit while you cook the pasta.

So, the second step is to cook the pasta. I used spaghetti but of course you could use whatever you like (though I reckon spaghetti would be best). Get a pot of water boiling, add some salt and cook the pasta until it is done, the packet will tell you how long but about 10 minutes should do it. Then drain the pasta and add it to the tomato mixture.

Finally, to serve, give the entire concoction a good mix so that the pasta is well coated in oil, garlic and tomatoes, then divide into serving bowls. I used 4 large tomatoes and served three people, so I reckon 6 tomatoes would easily serve 4 people.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!