Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tomato Soup

Here in Ireland it is cold (not to mention dark, wet and dreary). After my all too brief sojourn into summer I have to face the reality of being back in a country where the cold is unlikely to let up any time soon, my solution to which has always been soup! This week's soup is tomato because I had never made it before and suddenly I felt like giving it a try. To me, tomato soup is one of those slightly unreliable dishes, where if you order it at a cafe or restaurant you might get something really amazing or something barely edible. But perhaps that's just me. However, once a friend of mine made tomato soup that was so yummy that I figured I would give it a go. Because I am somewhat lazy and because fresh fruit and vegetables can be quite expensive here, my recipe uses canned tomatoes. To begin with I figured I make a soup just like any other vegetable soup, except the primary ingredient was tomato. And it worked, and is really tasty! Not to mention that tomato is a great source of vitamin C so hopefully it will keep colds at bay. Next time I'm going to try something different, I saw a recipe for roast tomato and pepper soup, so I think I'll try that. But for now I'm happy enough with what I have made so I hope that somebody else out there who is looking for a vege-boost will give this one a go.



Tomato Soup

1 tablespoon butter
1 brown onion
3 cloves garlic
1 red pepper
2 large sticks celery
2 large carrots
2 cans crushed tomatoes
2 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Black pepper to taste

Like all soups that I make, this is a really simply recipe. I simply took a large pot and melted the butter in it. Then I began to chop up all the vegetables and throw them in, in the order that I have written them, giving them a stir once in a while and turning the heat down to medium so that they didn't burn or stick while I was still chopping veges. Then I added the tomatoes, stock, sauce and thyme (you could, of course, use different herbs). I let the soup simmer until everything was soft and then blended it well with my new hand-blender (I dropped the last one on the floor and it broke). Season it to your liking, it probably won't need salt because stock is usually quite salty, and then serve it with some fresh bread or toast!

1 comment:

  1. You are so right about the number of ... lesser Tomato soups. This is so full of extras, just love everything. BTW, Cumin is my new obsession for Tomato soup, just a bit adds a lot!

    Terrific recipe, thanks for sharing

    Dave

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!