Friday, February 17, 2012

Amazing Buttercream Frosting

As I mentioned some time ago, I am actually a bit behind in these posts - I just bake too much and couldn't keep up! So now it is Friday and I have, of course, been baking for my 'official' weekly baking day. But, as per usual, I just couldn't refrain from baking earlier in the week. Today I made Pumpkin Muffins but you will have to wait until Sunday to read about those. This post is about what I made on Tuesday, which was Valentine's day, which is of course a silly commercial invention with no real meaning to individual couples, but any excuse to bake is a good one, right?! On Monday evening I suddenly got the urge to make some pretty cupcakes and I don't generally need much more encouragement than that. The cupcakes that I made were basic vanilla ones, and I thought that I must have written the recipe out badly wrong because the texture just didn't seem quite right. Yet everybody that I have given them to reckons that they are the most amazingly soft and moist cupcakes they've ever had so I guess the recipe is fine. I posted this recipe before though, I am just repeating it to add a couple of changes. The real 'pièce de résistance' of the day was the buttercream frosting that I topped the cupcakes with!


I wanted to have a really good recipe to fall back on so I have borrowed this one from 'The Baker Chick' and it was amazing! It's my new favourite, and everybody raved about it. Just don't tell people what's in it, they'll be shocked at how much butter it takes!


Pink Berry Cupcakes

This recipe is for a lot of cupcakes, it should make 24 if you don't fill your cases too high. That way there's plenty for sharing with a crowd! Plus the frosting makes so much that you need this many cupcakes. I baked them really quickly last night so again I have neglected to photograph the process, but one day I will, I promise!

225 grams butter, at room temperature or softened in the microwave
1 cup caster sugar
4 eggs
2 cups plain flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons raspberry milkshake powder or instant pudding powder, or if your supermarket sells imitation raspberry essence (like they do in NZ) you could use a couple of drops of that along with a couple of tablespoons of plain cornflour/cornstarch
Red food colouring
1/2 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepare 24 cupcake holes - I used pretty red paper cases and for cupcakes I prefer to use paper cases because they add that extra showy touch, but you could of course just grease the pan well.

Beat the butter until it is sort of creamy, then begin to add the sugar, perhaps in about 3 parts. Cream it well until it is pale in colour. Then add the eggs one at a time. You don't want to add them all together, that will screw up the consistency of the batter.

Next sift in half of the flour, the baking powder and the flavoured milkshake or pudding powder. At home I used to buy all sorts of interesting 'essences' in the supermarket to flavour my baking and sweets, but here in Ireland that sort of thing is just not available. In my usual cupcake recipe I use custard powder, not just for the taste but to make the cupcakes softer. So I figured, pudding is just like custard, right? So why not use a different flavour? And for lack of that, milkshake mix seems like a good idea. This might not add enough pink to the mixture though, so add a few drops of red food colouring too. Now I've sort of strayed from the point though.

Beat in the flour and other ingredients that you have just added, and then add half of the milk. Beat this in, then sift in the rest of the flour, beat it in and add the last of the milk. Your mixture should be quite liquidy. Spoon it into the waiting cupcake cases carefully, trying to only fill them about 3/4 of the way. Bake the cupcakes for about 20 minutes, and if you had to place the trays on different oven racks make sure to switch them halfway so that both trays cook evenly.

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

225 grams butter, at room temperature or softened in the microwave
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3-6 teaspoons milk

In a large bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer until it is pale and creamy. Sift the icing sugar in a half cup at a time, beating well after each addition until the mixture is really thick. Then add the vanilla and gradually add the milk, just a teaspoon at a time. Beat the mixture until the frosting seems to have the right consistency - it should be stiff, but soft, and it should melt in your mouth. Then spread it or pipe it on to your beautiful cupcakes! It is plenty of icing for 24 cupcakes.


This Friday recipe has been shared on two blog-hop linky-parties: Foodie Friday and Friday Favourites, both of which I will trawl through later looking for more food to make because I really am just that obsessed.

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from the Friday Favorites Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!