Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Chocolate Cake Challenge

Photobucket
This month's cooking challenge was chocolate cake and when I read that it absolutely made my day - I had an excuse to make chocolate cake even though it was nobody's birthday! The thing about these challenges is that the recipe is supposed to new to you, so you can't use your classic recipe that you love, and if possible it should be something different to just the usual. Not only that, but it has to come from another personal blog. Which is the part that I find most difficult. The last couple of times that I did this challenge I kept bemoaning to myself how difficult it is to search for recipes from blogs alone, instead of the huge commercial websites. There are loads of blog-rolls out there for food blogs but they don't actually let you search the content of each blog, and I think that google's blog search only brings up google blogs (like mine). But then I remembered that I am actually already part of a website that is all about indexing food-blog entries so that they can be searched! It's called erecipecards and I've been contributing to it for ages to try and get my readership up, so I decided it was high time to actually use it myself. I typed 'chocolate cake' into the search button and actually managed to find something that looked really unusual and unique (and yummy). It was so fast too! So here it is, my food challenge entry, a chocolate cake that features red wine!



I was a bit concerned that it would not turn out well, seeing as I don't really like red wine. But it was so good! It was really rich, even though it only uses cocoa and not chocolate. It was dense and moist and the sauce that goes with it was really good too. The blog that I found it on is called 'Easily Good Eats' and it's full of recipes that I would like to try. I'm looking forward to seeing all the chocolate cakes that show up in this month's challenge, and I hope that I am the only person that has found this particular one!

Red Wine Chocolate Cake

2 cups flour (plain)
2 cups caster sugar
4 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup oil
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup red wine (like shiraz or cabernet sauvignon)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup boiling water

This cake was really simple and fast to make, it uses only one bowl and there are all of three steps to it.

First, as always, I preheated the oven to 180 degrees celsius and I greased and floured a tin. I used a rectangular tin that is about 20 cm by 30 cm. A big round tin or two small round tins would do as well.

The ingredients are mixed together in the order that they are stated above. Begin with a large bowl and measure the dry ingredients into it, then give it a mix. Add the oil, eggs, red wine and vanilla essence and use your electric beater or cake mixer to combine it all well. Finally, add the hot water and beat that in also.

Now pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake it for about 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. I was very worried that the cake would overflow because it filled my tin up nearly to the brim. But while it did rise, it did not rise so much that it overflowed, luckily! Anyway, when the cake is done, let it cool for about 5 or 10 minutes before turning it out of the tin, onto a wire rack. Leave it to cool completely and then serve it with the sauce that you see below!

Golden Syrup Chocolate Sauce

1/4 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup milk
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa powder

Again, this is really simple. It is a very thin sauce, which is nice with such a dense cake, and it is not too rich. All you need to do is to combine the ingredients by placing them all in a saucepan or microwavable bowl and heating them, whisking briskly every now and then, until the sauce is smooth. And then enjoy!

23 comments:

  1. this looks so good! I even have everything on hand, meaning I could get off the computer and go make this right now... very tempting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a red wine chocolate cake as well for the Crazy Cooking Challenge! Yours look scrumptious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How unique! It sounds so lovely and sophisticated! I must try this very soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks decadent and rich. Plus how wonderful it has wine in it! ;-) You should check out my egg and dairy free chocolate cake that I tried as well! http://itsyummytomytummy.blogspot.com/2012/02/egg-and-dairy-free-chocolate-cake.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wondered about red wine cake, I've seen recipes before but never a review on how it turns out. Will definitely have to try one now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, a perfect excuse to open a bottle of wine! I made the Black Magic Cake w/ White Chocolate Buttercream Icing. Also, I would love for you to visit my new food blog, The Sweet Spot, and link up your recipes to my Mouthwatering Monday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ALMOST made a red wine chocolate cake for The Challenge, too! Glad to hear yours turned out good ... I'll have to give it a try.
    Tracey @ The Kitchen is My Playground (CCC #13)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds very interesting! We aren't big fans of red wine but I usually have some around for cooking so I may just have to give this a try! Soptting by from the CCC (#31).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love red wine so much but can't drink it at the moment becuase I'm pregnant, which just makes me want to make this cake even more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so delicious!I love the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy!! I bet the red wine really tasted great in this cake!!

    http://kaylasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-magic-cake-with-pb-frosting.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, it is difficult to search blogs for challenge recipes but you managed to find a real winner with this recipe. Your cake looks amazing and I am bookmarking it to make...very soon.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Double Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my this looks wicked good. What a lovely choice for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy red wine and chocolate so your cake has me so intrigued, it looks amazing. I hope you will link it up on Friday to Bacon Time's weekly Anything Goes linky.
    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. This would be a very moist and delicious cake that we would really enjoy! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen
    #7

    ReplyDelete
  16. That cake looks super moist. It's interesting to see that there are SO many ways to make a chocolate cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, just came across your site. I am pleased to hear that the red wine choc cake turned out super, and thanks for mentioning my site. Really appreciated. I've made choc cake using mulled wine also but I think I prefer the plain red wine version.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen several red wine cakes in the challenge and they all look so good, including yours! Especially with that Chocolate Sauce... yum!

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2012/02/chocolate-carrot-cake-crazy-cooking.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice cake! I bet the sauce keeps it very moist.
    Jen #79

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! I love chocolate and red wine, what a winner! I am #83 at Moore or Less cooking! Love your blog! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that cake! It's moist and pack with all so chocolatey goodness. Plus the fudge!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!