Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Garlic & Cheese Bread Twist

Today I was at work and I was hungry, so as I often do when I have 10 minutes to procrastinate I began looking a recipes and food blogs. I hopped from one blog to another until I saw this amazing looking bread - it looked so good that I just had to go home and bake it right away. Now this bread actually comes from two blogs; the original bread recipe is for 'french bread' and comes from a blog called 'Jamie Cooks it Up!' (there are quite a lot of people with my name blogging about food out there), but the presentation of the bread is the awesome part about it, it's all twisty and filled with herbs, garlic and cheese - I found it on this other blog, called 'I'm a mom, not a professional'. So, here is my attempt to recreate this most wonderful looking bread. The recipe looked like it made a lot and I don't have so many people to feed so I have halved the recipe. Not only that, but the recipe uses cups! So I have weighed the ingredients so that all of those people that don't know how to use the metric measuring system properly won't complain. The original recipe used an electric mixer but I have made it my own way, because I don't have a mixer.


Garlic & Cheese Bread Twist

1 tablespoon shortening or butter (about 10 grams)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup and 3 tablespoons boiling water (sorry about the random amount - that's what happens when you halve 1 1/3 cups)
1/2 cup milk
1 sachet fast-acting yeast (about 7 grams or 1 tablespoon if you are using some other equivalent)
2 1/2 cups strong flour (about 375 grams)
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
30 grams grated parmesan
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (I used a 'french' herb mix, but really, use whatever you like)
Salt
1 egg

Well, that ingredient list looks rather long but really this is quite simple and only requires one large bowl. Place the butter, salt and sugar in it, then pour the boilling water over top. Stir until the butter is melted, then add the milk. Check that the water is now lukewarm, then add the yeast and stir it until it is dissolved.

Add two cups of flour (300 grams) and stir it in well. Another half cup of the flour is going to be slowly kneaded in. Begin by sprinkling some flour onto a clean bench surface, and then begin to knead, adding a sprinkle of flour every time it begins to get sticky. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes. Then sprinkle some more flour over the outside, place the dough back into the bowl and cover the bowl with clingfilm. Let the dough rise for about an hour or so, until it is doubled in size. If, like me, you are currently stuck in freezing cold winter, getting the bread to rise may be somewhat difficult. A good way to do it is to take a glass of water and place it in the microwave and heat it until it boils. Then, very quickly so that the heat does not escape, take the water out and place your covered bowl in the microwave. Then just leave it there in the warm, steamy microwave until it has risen.

The next step is the really great part that is going to make your bread something really special. First, you need to clear a large section of your kitchen bench and flour it. Then you take your dough and roll it out quite thin, to about 5 mm. Be gentle with it though! Now, what I did was melt my butter and crush the garlic into it, then spread it on. Alternately, you could simply spread the dough with soft butter and spread your crushed garlic over (or use garlic flakes if you have some).  Sprinkle over your herbs and parmesan. Then roll it up tightly lengthwise.

Now things get just a little tricky (but not by much). You need to take a sharp knife and slice the roll in half lengthwise. Then, take the two halves and twist them together, carefully so that it doesn't all come to pieces.


Before continuing you need to quickly prepare a tray for baking the bread on. I simply sprinkled my tray with flour because this becomes quite sticky, what with all the garlic butter. Finally, you are just about done. Gently lift your twisted dough and place it on the tray in a circle, twisting the ends together. Break the egg into a bowl and whisk it until it's frothy, then brush it over the bread dough (I had to use my fingers because I don't have a pastry brush - I really should get one). If you like a bit of extra flavour, sprinkle some salt over the dough - sea salt or normal salt or some sort of flavoured salt.


The dough needs to rise again, so while it is rising you can turn the oven on the get it heated. If, however, your kitchen is too cold for the bread to rise, you can turn the oven on until it is just sort of warm, then switch it off and place your bread in. Let it rise for about half and hour before turning the oven back on, this time to 200 degrees celsius. Let the bread stay in while the oven heats (or if you have left it on the bench to rise, put it in the oven now). Let the bread bake for about 30 minutes, until it is all golden and crispy. If you want very soft, sort of half-baked bread you can stop after half and hour, but if you like your bread a bit drier in the centre turn the oven down to 180 and let it bake another 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the bread in for a while, to make sure that the very inside is cooked through. Plus, you are not supposed to cut your bread immediately. You will want to though because this smells and looks amazing!

Another option for this bread, one that might be slightly faster than making a twist, is to just slice your rolled up dough into pieces and lay them together on a tray like you would for any bread scrolls or swirls, to make a yummy savoury pull-apart bread!

2 comments:

  1. Come share this fabulous recipe at my Famous Linkz Party!!
    -Heather
    @ www.made-famous-by.com

    PS
    I am you newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaimie,
    This is a beautiful Twist, I can almost taste the wonderful flavors in this bread. Hope you have a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!