Monday, February 13, 2012

More Kiwi Cookies

While I was at home in Invercargill over Christmas, I stopped in to visit a friend one day and managed to time my visit perfectly - she was just pull of tray of cookies out of the oven. Not just any cookies, but really amazingly good cookies. Turns out they are her take of an old NZ recipe, one so old that it is no longer in the Edmond's cookbook. Duskies can be found in old NZ recipe books, and my old Edmond's book does actually have a recipe for them, but I would prefer to make them my friend's way. Among the classic cookies in the NZ Edmond's cookbook are Melting Moments, which are plain cookies sandwiched together with icing or jam. So Duskies are a chocolate version and when you sandwich them together with chocolate icing they become Dusky Twins. The recipe is actually the Melting Moments recipe with cocoa powder and extra butter added. They have a strong cocoa taste, they're not to sweet and they are sort of soft and crumbly. They went down really well with all my friends and colleagues here!


Dusky Twins

250 grams butter
3/4 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 cup plain flour
1 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Then soften the butter and beat the sugar into it until it is pale. As I was creaming my mixture I thought it smelt a bit funny - I used a mixture of various butters left over in my fridge and I wonder if one of them was beginning to go rancid? Or was it just my imagination, and that fact that I don't much like dairy? The final product tasted fine so I guess it doesn't matter.

The remaining ingredients can be sifted into the mixture gradually. Soon enough you will find that your can no longer mix the dough with a spoon or an electric beater, but don't worry, the proportions are correct. It's just a really stiff mixture, one that needs to be combined using your hands. Perhaps if you have a really good electric mixer that would do the trick. Soon enough the dough will come together and then you are ready to roll your cookies!


Seeing as these will be sandwiched together you don't really want to make them too big. So make small balls, like the size that you would get from scooping a teaspoonful of mixture. I managed to make 40 cookies with this mixture (before sandwiching them, that is). Flatten the cookies onto a tray and press the tines of a fork into the top, to flatten them just a bit further. I found that my cookies did not spread out much at all, but yours might so don't place them too close together!


Bake each batch for 15 minutes and let them cool thoroughly before putting them together.

Chocolate Icing

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon cocoa
2 tablespoons boiling water
2 tablespoons milk
2 cups icing sugar

This is my own recipe for icing - I always just make it up as I go along but this time I actually took note of what I was doing and the texture turned out really nice, so this version is a keeper!

Begin by placing the butter and cocoa in a bowl and pouring the boiling water over it. Stir the mixture until the butter is all melted and then add the milk. Sift half of the icing sugar in and give it a good beat with an electric beater. You don't want to just mix it with a spoon, beating it properly will make it much lighter.


Sift in the second cup of icing sugar and beat it until it's smooth. Then take two cookies, spread a thick layer of icing onto one of them and sandwich the two together!

3 comments:

  1. What an easy (and tasty looking) recipe! I am all about baking recipes that have few ingredients, as mine tend to spiral out of control. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look super yummy!!
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very tasty! Sending you some #chocolatelove your way! Stop by my blog and say hello!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!