Thursday, February 9, 2012

More Yummy Oats

Lately my blog has really been picking up, it is so exciting! Yesterday I had more than 100 page views, in just the one day! That's such a record for me. It's all thanks to the Chocolate Cake Challenge. Possibly it is also due to my baking far too much lately. I've been baking so much that I'm a week behind in posting, so even though it is baking day today, this post is about last week's baking day! The plan was to bake an obscure NZ recipe that I picked up from home . However, I did not quite get around to going to the supermarket and after managing to get out of bed despite the temptation of the snooze button I discovered that I could not make what I had intended, which was Dusky Twins. So what could I make at the last minute? Well, how about more oat cookies, since everybody seems to love them so much? This recipe is based on my Butter Oat Biscuits, only has even more oats, no coconut, and the addition of blueberries! I made them once a long time ago and had been wanted to try them again to get the recipe just right. These ones turned out wonderfully but they were eaten so quickly, they are so good you just can't stop at one!


Blueberry Oat Biscuits

1 1/3 cups rolled oats
1 1/3 cups plain flour
3/4 cup raw/course-grained sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips (100 grams)
1 cup frozen blueberries (about 125 grams)
125 grams butter
2 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) water
1 teaspoon baking soda

Just like the oat cookies of the other day, these are very simple and made in two steps. But first, turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius and line a cookie tray with baking paper. Now you are ready to begin!

In a large bowl mix together the oats, flour, sugar, chocolate chips and blueberries. Then, in a microwaveable bowl or jug, melt the butter and honey together with the water until it is all liquid. Then stir in the baking soda.

Now, add the wet mixture to the dry and give it a good stir. Then you will need to mix it with your hands because it is really quite a crumbly mixture. It will probably not really come together into a dough entirely, but that's OK. You simply need to grab a small handful and press it into a ball (the berries may burst a bit, that's OK too). Place each ball on the tray and flatten it a little.

Bake each batch for 13 to 14 minutes (at first I tried 12 minutes, but they were too unbaked, however if you leave them for 15 minutes they are too hard when they cool). The mixture made about two and a half trays, which was 30 biscuits. They are very soft when they are just cooked so let them cool for a couple of minutes before trying to take them off of the tray. Don't expect them to last long because they are incredibly delicious and moreish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!