Sunday, February 12, 2012

Roast Tomato Soup & Bread Rolls

This week I have again made a big pot of soup to keep the cold at bay (though today it's actually not very cold at all!) and this is the most amazingly yummy soup that I have had in ages. I found a recipe a couple of weeks ago called roasted tomato soup and I am so glad that I tried it! Why would anybody make normal tomato soup when you could roast them first and have this amazing soup? To be honest, even without turning it into soup I think I could have happily feasted on the roasted tomatoes, peppers and onions just as they were. This soup is slightly sweet and really full of flavour. My soup was not as red as the picture on the original recipe, perhaps due to a different type of tomato or something, mine was an orange-red colour. But what does the colour really matter anyway? To go with my soup I made bread rolls, based on the french bread recipe that I used to make my cheese and garlic twist. This time I made wholemeal bread full of seeds and I have to say, I absolutely love this bread recipe, I am so glad I found it! It is really fast and the dough is really soft and velvety. The finished bread is soft and slightly sweet and it smells amazing!



Brown Bread Rolls

1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons boiling water
1/2 cup cold milk
1 sachet fast acting yeast (or 1 tablespoon normal yeast granules, or 10 grams fresh yeast)
1/2 cup brown flour
2 cups strong white flour (plus a bit extra when kneading the bread if you need it)
1/4 cup mixed seeds
1 egg

This recipe made 8 rolls, so if you are feeding a lot of people you may want to double it. Even if you are not feeding so many people, you may want to double it because these rolls are so yummy when they are fresh and warm that you might not be able to stop eating them.

So, to begin with, place the oil, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the boiling water, then the cold milk. Mix them together and double check that the liquid is not too hot. Then add the yeast. If you do not have fast acting yeast you will have to leave this yeast and water mixture for a few minutes to give the yeast a chance to dissolve. The top of the liquid will begin to get somewhat foamy.

Next, add the flour. First add the brown flour, then about a cup and a half of the white flour. Add the seeds and give this all a good stir with a large spoon. The rest of the flour will be added as you knead the bread. Sprinkle some flour onto a clean work-surface and tip the dough out onto it. Sprinkle some of the remaining flour over it and begin to knead, adding more flour when it gets sticky. Knead the dough for about 8 minutes or so, during which time you should use up the remaining half cup of flour. Only add more than this if it is very sticky because you do not want your dough to become dry and tough.

Now, if you are using fast acting yeast then the dough only needs to rise once. You can divide the dough and shape it into balls immediately after you have finished kneading, and then place them together in a cake-tin or on a baking tray and let them rise for about 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how warm your kitchen is! If you are using normal yeast, you will need to place the dough back into the mixing bowl and let it rise for about an hour (covered), until it is double in size. Then carefully remove the dough from the bowl and knead it gently until the air seems to have been pressed out of it. Continue as above, by dividing it and rolling it into balls. Let the rolls rise for another half hour or so.

While the rolls are rising the second time (or the first for fast acting yeast), turn the oven on to 200 degrees celsius to preheat. If you are also making the soup below, now is the time to quickly chop the vegetables and throw them in the oven. They will steam the oven up, which is good for keeping the crust of your bread soft. You can bake the bread while the veges are still in there, then let it finish baking while you prepare the soup!

Finally, just before placing your risen rolls in the oven, crack an egg into a small bowl and whisk it until it is frothy. Brush the egg lightly over the rolls and then place them in the oven. I did not actually time how long I baked them, but I will next time! I left them for about 20 minutes, then turned the oven down to 180 and left them another 20 minutes. The bread seemed done on the top but quite soft beneath so I gently tipped them out of the pan that they were in and left them to bake a further 10 minutes upside-down. By this time I really wanted my bread so I pulled a roll off to have with my soup, but I left the rest in the oven while it cooled, just to make sure they were cooked through.


Roasted Tomato Soup

1 kilo fresh tomatoes
1 red pepper
1 large red onion
5 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Salt
1 cup hot vegetable stock
Smoked paprika

This soup is really simple to make, and is a nice change from the usual method. To begin with, you heat your oven to about 180 or 200 degrees celsius. Take a large, shallow oven tray, like a roasting pan or something, and place a layer of baking paper on the bottom (this might not actually be necessary but I did not want to risk my tomatoes sticking). Chop your tomatoes into quarters and slice of the green stalk bit, then place these in the roasting pan. Chop the pepper and onion into quarters and add these to the pan. Place the garlic in with the skin still on. Then tip a good amount of olive oil over the top - I reckon I used at least a quarter of a cup. Sprinkle some salt over top and then spread the vegetables out. Turn the tomatoes and pepper so that the skin is facing down.


Bake the vegetables for about 30 to 45 minutes, until everything is soft and smells good. The onion should be very soft. Take the pan out of the oven and find the garlic cloves. Gently peel the skin off. Now place everything into the bowl of a food processor, if you have one. If you don't, place it all in a large saucepan or bowl and use your hand blender. Add the vegetable stock (you can add more then specified if you want a more liquid soup) and blend until it is at the consistency that you want. Then have a taste and if you need to, season it with salt, pepper and smoked paprika. To be honest, I actually forgot about the paprika and it was still so yummy that I'm not sure if it's really necessary at all.

1 comment:

  1. oh! I love tomato soup- roasting the vegetables makes it sound so amazing! thanks for linking up this great recipe. The rolls look fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!