Thursday, February 16, 2012

Vege Soup & Cheese Bread

Here in Ireland they measure out the seasons differently to the rest of the world, meaning that it is already spring here even though it is only February. Where I am from it is still summer. However, the weather here is actually abiding by the official seasons for once and has been really clear since the start of February (though really cold and frosty) and there are already daffodils and crocuses. The days have gotten longer and to look out the window you would often think that it's a suitable day for just wearing a t-shirt. But that's where you'd be wrong because it is freezing out there! So I have made soup again this week, to warm me up when I get home from work. This week I made vegetable soup and it is delicious, but what is even more amazingly delicious is the cheese bread that I made. I got the recipe from another blog called 'What Katie's Baking' and it is so good that I could have eaten the entire loaf by myself! However, I managed to refrain.


This is a quick-bread and the method is just like making muffins, but the texture was quite different to a muffin. The mixture is small so it either needs a small loaf tin, or to be doubled! It was a great recipe and I have not changed it at all, except to add a bit of cayenne pepper because that seemed like a good idea, only I added a little too much so my bread is quite spicy, woops!

Parmesan Cheddar Quick Bread

1 cup white flour
3/4 cup brown flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
A pinch of cayenne (up to a 1/4 teaspoon, but that will have quite a kick!)
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup oil

This bread is called quick because the mixture comes together in about 5 minutes. So you need to turn the oven on ahead of time, to get it heated to 200 degrees celsius before the bread is ready to go in. You don't want to leave the mixture sitting out once it has all been combined because the baking powder will lose its rising power.

Grease a small loaf tin and set it aside. Then, in a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper and cheeses.

In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, milk and oil. Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix lightly, until the mixture is just combined. I overmixed mine a little and it didn't seem to make a difference, but I won't go so far as to advise you to mix it well. Just fold it gently, as you would for muffins.

Immediately pour the mixture into the prepared tin, place it in the oven and bake the loaf for 35 minutes.


Try to tip the loaf gently out of the tin, directly on to the oven rack, so that you can let the loaf bake just a little bit more upside down. Turn the oven off and let the last of the baking occur while the oven cools. This last little step is because I found that my bread was a little soft and doughy in the middle, so I figured it could do with drying out a little. Of course, you should never cut bread immediately after it is baked, it needs to cool and in doing so the residual heat in the loaf will bake the inside a bit further. However, when you smell this bread you won't be able to wait.


PS - I have started sharing my recipes on other people's linky parties, as you can see by all those buttons down the side on the right of the screen there. So, this recipe is a Thursday recipe and so it is shared on Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday and It's a Keeper Thursday. I have been slack about linking back to these things in the past but I will try to from now on because that is proper blogging etiquette you know!

3 comments:

  1. That looks yummy, I shall have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ocg and this looks fantastic! Please link up to Foodie Friday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jaimie,
    I can't wait to try your wonderful bread, it looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!