Saturday, March 3, 2012

Iddy Biddy Cheesy Bread Rolls

The great thing about fast acting yeast is that you can come home from work on a Friday feeling tired and hungry and have fresh bread ready in about an hour. Which is what I did last night. I am still working my way through a feezer full of chicken soup, and while I believe soup to be a very acceptable dinner, it does need a little something added to it to really round things out. The question is, what type of bread did I want? I was tired and didn't want to try out a new recipe, but I wanted something new and different. And cheesy. So I took my new favourite bread recipe and I turned it into little cheese filled dinner rolls! The only problem is that all I had was cheddar cheese and the cheddar here doesn't seem to melt very well. At home all cheese is good for cooking with but this stuff doesn't get properly gooey. So I am recommending that you use a cheese with a strong flavour and good melting ability. Or a mixture of cheeses, like mozarella and parmesan. I think next time I will also add a bit of tomato sauce and little bits of ham and make little pizza rolls. Anyway, I am getting off the point. The point is, here is my recipe for yummy little cheesy bread rolls.



Cheesy Bread Rolls

1 T oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 sachet instant, fast-acting yeast
375 grams strong flour
1 egg
Cheese (something really meltable)

First of all, combine the oil, sugar, salt, boiling water and cold water in a small bowl or jug. If you have fresh yeast or dried yeast that is not instant/fast-acting, you will need to add this to the warm liquid too and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Take a large bowl and sift the flour into it. If you are using instant/fast-acting yeast, sprinkle this on and combine it well. Then pour in the liquid. Mix it with a spoon as well as you can, then tip the whole lot out onto a clean, floured surface and begin to knead the dough, incorporating all of the extra flour that has not already been mixed in. Knead for about 10 minutes - if it gets sticky and the dough is coming away on your hands, sprinkle your hands (not on the dough with flour and keep on kneading. This way you don't add too much flour by accident.

If you are not using fast-acting yeast you need to let the dough rise for about an hour or so, until it is doubled in size. Then knead it down gently and continue with making the rolls.

Now, to make your little rolls, divide the mixture into 16 pieces. Roll each into a ball and flatten it out with your hands or a rolling pin. The place some cheese in the middle.



Fold the circle of dough up like a parcel, so that all of the cheese is enclosed.


Then place all of your little cheese-filled dough balls in a baking dish, with a little space between them.


Beat up the egg and brush a light coating onto the rolls. If you like, sprinkle the rolls with something yummy (I used sesame seeds and paprika, but I think garlic flakes, powdered parmesan and sea salt would be good!). Leave the rolls to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. I left mine in the oven, which I had heated to about 50 degrees and then switched off.


As the dough is rising, get the oven heated to 200 degrees celsius, or thereabouts. Since my dough was already in the oven, I let it rise for 20 minutes, then turned the oven on to 200 and let them sit there as it heated. Bake the rolls for about 30 minutes. And then serve them up while they are warm and the cheese is all melty (hopefully meltier that mine was!)


1 comment:

  1. Wow these look absolutely amazing!!! Nothing like some good bread to satisfy your stomach! Also, your chicken soup looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!