Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Swirls

Today is Pi day! And I completely forgot about it! So at work today I was thinking, perhaps I should go home and make apple pie? But I have no apples, no milk and not much butter and I didn't want to go to the shop, because yesterday I got so frustrated having to wait in line at the supermarket. They would never let the queue get that long at supermarkets in NZ! So I gave up on that idea. But for ages now I have been meaning to make cinnamon swirls again, but with pumpkin-pie filling. So my Pi day recipe is not a pie, but a pie-inspired treat, that was really yummy, and I am going to have a second one because I am tired.

Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Swirls

1 sachet fast-acting yeast
1 tablespoon butter
150 ml warm milk (or water, if you have run out of milk)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
225 grams bread flour, plus extra for kneading
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pumpkin pie filling:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons pumpkin puree

Well, it is late, and I am tired, so I am going to try and be quick about this recipe. First of all, for more detailed instructions, you could check out the original Cinnamon Swirl recipe. This bread recipe is changed a little because I had no eggs and no milk. To begin with, turn the oven on to 100 degrees celsius.

In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients, including the fast-acting yeast. Combine the warm milk or water with the butter (or oil) and check that it is not too hot. Then stir the liquid into the dry ingredients. Sprinkle a bit of flour onto a clean work surface and tip the dough out. Knead it for about 10 minutes, adding a bit more flour if you need to.

Let the dough sit while you combine the pumpkin pie filling (it's not quite real pumpkin pie filling of course, but if you have the canned variety you could use that). Just stir the ingredients together well. Then roll the dough out, to make a square of about 20 by 30 cm. Spread a thin layer of the pumpkin pie filling and roll the dough up lengthwise. Don't spread the dough too thick, or the rolled dough will keep trying to unroll, and roll it up as tight as you can or your swirls will come apart as you try to eat them.


Slice the dough into 8 pieces and place them in a baking pan. Turn the oven off and open the door to let some of the heat out. It should just feel warm, but it cools pretty quickly when you open the door. Place the tray in the oven and leave it there for about a half hour, until the buns are well risen.


Switch the oven back on, to 180 degrees, and let the buns bake for half an hour, until they are golden and baked through (I can't tell you a more exact time I'm afraid because I always just guess at it). If you like, ice the buns with a thin vanilla icing when they are a bit cool, then eat them while they are warm.


I think that these would be really good if you added pecans, like the ones in the danish pastries that I buy when I am hungry at the supermarket! I didn't have any pecan nuts, and I have never cooked with them so I don't know how they make them so good in those danishes, but I think they might be covered in sugar and baked so that they are all caramelised. That sounds good. I will try to do that next time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaimie,
    Your Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Swirls look wonderful and I would love to have a basket of these for breakfast. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!