Thursday, March 1, 2012

Quick Pasta for One

You know those mornings when you are getting ready for work and realise that there is no food in the house to take with you for lunch? Today was one of those days. Not only that, but I was busy with lab work so I didn't have time to go out and buy lunch. I had to make do with what I would normally consider to just be snacks until it was finally time for work to be over. So of course, I spent all day considering what I could make for my dinner. Unfortunately, I have already gone over budget for the week so it had to be something simple. But that has an up-side as well - something simple is ready to eat all the sooner! Today was surprisingly clear and warm (well, considering that I'm in Galway, that is) so I decided on something on the light side. And past is my favourite, so there was really much of a decision to make. I had this tube of basil in the fridge (it's like some sort of puree I think) because sometimes it's really hard to find fresh herbs in the supermarket here. I cooked the pasta, quickly sauteed the basil with olive oil, garlic and cherry tomatoes and my dinner was ready!


Pasta with Garlic, Basil and Cherry Tomatoes 
(Recipe can, of course, be made much larger to feed more people)

Pasta for one (I used wholegrain fusilli)
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons basil puree (or a handful of fresh basil, torn into pieces)
250 grams cherry tomatoes (1 punnet)
Parmesan for sprinkling

First of all, bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook your pasta. In the meantime, crush the garlic, tear up the basil if you are using fresh stuff, and chop the cherry tomatoes in half. Sprinkle the tomatoes with salt and pepper and then just set everything aside until the pasta is cooked.


Drain the pasta in a colander and take the pot that you cooked it in to heat the olive oil. Quickly add the garlic and basil to the hot oil and sautee for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes. Then throw the pasta in and stir it about to coat it well with the oil, basil and garlic. Then turn off the heat, pile it into a large pasta bowl, grate a little parmesan over it and your dinner is ready!


You know what? I just realised that this is pretty much exactly the same as another recipe that I posted over summer (in NZ that is), only this time I cooked the garlic, basil and tomatoes before tossing them through the pasta because it is still quite cold here, so lots of warm food is still required. Well, I guess that it's slightly different so I might as well post it, right? It was really yummy, after all.

1 comment:

  1. I have a beautiful patch of basil growing and i have already been able to harvest a dozen or so cherry tomatoes (with tons more on their way (I have 6 plants)... Saving this idea for my summer lunches... I am thinking a cold version of this would be very refreshing!

    Thanks so much for sharing
    Dave at erecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!