Saturday, April 7, 2012

Blueberry Muffin Challenge

This month's cooking challenge is more baked goods, my favourite!
Photobucket
The only problem is that you aren't allowed to use your own recipe, so I'm just going to sneak in a reference to my own really good blueberry muffin recipe and then continue on to tell you how I found this new recipe through Google. It was simple. I typed in blueberry muffins and after scrolling through a few pages I found this blog recipe for Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins by Joy the Baker. I had never used browned butter but I've read it in other recipes so I finally wanted to give it a try. Now, I really wasn't too sure if I would make this my challenge entry because the recipe seemed quite ordinary, aside from the butter, and surely that couldn't make such an amazing difference? Well, I was wrong. It was so good, I could have eaten the entire bowl of batter without making any muffins. Who would have thought that cooking butter like that could make it so yummy? I am definitely using it again and again and again. I wonder what my cookies would taste like with browned butter? One thing that I noticed, however, was that the taste of the brown butter was far more noticeable in the uncooked batter, so perhaps this would be good to use in unbaked slices and cookies?



Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins

110 grams unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups blueberries

Topping
45 grams unsalted butter
1/2 cup flour
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar

The first thing to do for these muffins is to prepare the butter. Place the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat on medium. Once the butter has melted you will need to keep stirring it as it simmers. The butter will be clear and yellow and the solids will sink to the bottom. If you don't stir it they will burn. You want to keep cooking the butter until it begins to turn golden-brown in colour. The liquid will remain quite yellow but the solids will be a toasted-brown colour. Remove the butter from the heat quickly, before it burns.


While the butter cools, prepare the rest of the mixture. First, turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius and prepare a muffin tin. Then sift the flour, cream of tartar and baking soda into a large bowl. You could use normal baking powder instead of the cream of tartar and baking soda, but baking powder can vary so much and I find that using my own mix makes muffins rise the best. Anyway, add the sugar and blueberries and mix the dry ingredients well.

In a separate bowl combine the milk, egg and egg yolk. Whisk well, then pour in the cooled butter (making sure to scrape in all of the toasted solids). Whisk the wet mixture again, then pour into the dry ingredients.


Using a fork, fold the wet and dry ingredients together until it is all just combined. Spoon the mixture evenly into 12 muffin holes.


Now, if you like you can add a crumble topping. I tried it the first time that I made them, and everybody seemed to really like it, but I thought that it was a bit much. The muffins are good enough plain. However, if you want to try it, you simply combine the butter, sugar and flour in a bowl, rub it together to make a crumbly mixture, then sprinkle it on top of the uncooked muffins.


Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let the cool in the tin for about 5 minutes, then remove them carefully and let them finish cooling on the bench or a wire rack. Then eat them up! Blueberries are good for you so eat lots of them.


3 comments:

  1. These look so good and I love your step-by-step!

    #65

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure these were delicious. I love the brown butter! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to get around to using browned butter! These look so tasty!
    #20

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!