Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chocolate ANZAC Cookies

It's ANZAC day tomorrow! In New Zealand and Australia it's already ANZAC day and soon people will be getting up for the dawn service. I have no idea why we have to commemorate our veterans at dawn, and personally I have never done it, but I'm sure they appreciate it. On this side of the world ANZAC day is just another excuse for expats to get together and behave badly from what I've heard, as if it's actually a day for celebration instead of a serious occasion in which we are supposed to remember how our troops were slaughtered on multiple occasions. I went to Gallipoli one year, before ANZAC day, and the rows of garishly-coloured seating were already being set up - I'm glad I wasn't there for the actual day because it would be so terrible crowded. It was much nicer to do the tour while it was quiet and be able to take in the gorgeous scenery. What I do take part in for ANZAC day is wearing a poppy (though I am not actually buying one for a charitable cause because I'm all the way over here in Ireland) and making ANZAC cookies! They are a great cookie, full of oats, coconut and golden syrup. When I share them with people here they can't understand what I am calling them, partially because of my accent and partially because they don't know the word, so then I explain ANZAC day to them and that these cookies were sent all the way from NZ and Aussie to troops on the front line. Apparently they last really well. They don't in my house though because I eat them all before I have the chance to see how well they keep. I already have a recipe for ANZAC cookies on here though, plus a slice version of the cookie, so this time I'm going to mix it up and try to make them chocolatey. I saw a recipe for chocolate ANZACs somewhere else so I know that it has been done before but I'm just going to take my usual recipe and chocolate it up.


Chocolate ANZAC Cookies

1 cup plain flour (150 grams)
2 cups rolled oats (200 grams)
1 cup sugar (200 grams)
2 cups desiccated coconut (175 grams)
200 grams butter
1/4 cup golden syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup cocoa powder or 250 grams dark or milk chocolate (this is because I couldn't decide how to make them chocolatey so tried two ways. I would recommend leaving out the cocoa and making chocolate-dipped ANZACs instead, they were amazing)

Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a couple of oven trays with baking paper.

So, first of all, measure all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. I weighed the ingredients as I went along for those of you that don't have measuring cups, but cups is far easier. The recipe is exactly the same as my other one on here, but different to the slice recipe, which uses the same amount of butter but far more oats and coconut. The result is that the cookies are flat, golden and crispy while the slice was pale, soft and chewy.

In a small bowl, microwave the butter until it is melted. Add the water and golden syrup and heat again until the mixture is runny and easily combined. If you can't find golden syrup you could use honey but the taste would be very different. A light molasses might be similar too. Or use brown sugar.

Add the baking soda to the liquid mixture and mix it quickly. Then pour it into the dry ingredients and mix it really well. You might have to use your hands. The mixture will seem really wet and sticky and a lot of recipes say that you should chill it at this point, but I never do. Instead I just let my hands get messy and roll balls of dough, flattening them slightly after I put them on the tray. Bake each batch for 15 minutes.


So above you can see that I have made some of the cookies chocolatey. I did this by adding the cocoa powder to the mixture after the butter and mixing in more and more until it was as chocolatey as I wanted it to be. You could add it in with the dry ingredients though. I found that while the chocolate version of the cookie was good, the plain cookies are far better, so I would recommend the chocolate dipping method.


So to finish, if you want to dip your cookies in chocolate simply melt some chocolate in the microwave or over a double boiler and dip the bases in the chocolate. Then place them upside down until the chocolate has hardened. Or you could drizzle chocolate over the top. I only dipped half of the cookies and I used 100 grams of chocolate so I would recommend at least 200 grams, probably more, for an entire batch. I highly recommend chocolate dipped ANZACs, they were amazing! Reminded me of a cookie that we have in NZ, called Chocolate Wheatens.

3 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful to ship to my daughter while she is away at school. Can't wait to try them :) I am pinning them to my "Recipes to Try" board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaimie,
    Your cookies look so yummy! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had an anzac cookie recipe in my folder forever, and it's never been made. I'm so glad to learn the meaning! What a yummy cookie!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!