Monday, April 16, 2012

Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies, Revisited

My first blog post was one year ago and everybody else seems to celebrate their 'blogiversary' so I am too. I am not making myself cupcakes though, because while I love cupcakes, they are not my favourite. My favourite is the thing that I have been baking since I don't know when, that my Mum used to bake when we were kids and I just took over at some point: Chocolate Chip Cookies! I have been making these for so long that I know the recipe by heart and can whip up a batch in about 10 minutes. This recipe is the basis for all the other cookie recipes that I make up and is one of those recipes that often turns out completely different depending on your oven, your flour and baking powder, how well you mix the ingredients and a whole bunch of other factors. Mine used to always be flat and crispy but these days they are more compact - I think that's something to do with being in Ireland, the ingredients here must be slightly different. These cookies can have loads of chocolate or hardly any and it is difficult to keep them for any length of time because they are just so good that they get eaten right away.



Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Now, this recipe is already on my blog but I am writing it down again because back then my instructions were very basic and there were no pictures. This time I have tried really hard to take nice pictures as I go so that everybody can follow along.

125 grams butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 3/4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder (I used 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar)
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
200 grams of roughly cut chocolate, or large, chunky chocolate chips (for this batch I am using half dark, half white)

Turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius and line a couple of cookie trays with non-stick baking paper.

Soften the butter and add the sugars. Beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is creamy and light in colour. When I am feeling too lazy to pull my mixer out of the cupboard, or when I don't want all the noise, I simply mix the butter and sugar by hand, with a big wooden spoon, and the cookies are still fine.


Add the egg and beat again.


Sift in the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer or just stir it really well with a wooden spoon.


Add the chocolate and mix it in as best you can. Then roll the dough into balls and place on the cookie trays. You can flatten the cookies or leave them. You can make them big or small.


Bake them for anywhere between 8 minutes (for quite small cookies, or half-baked, soft, chewy cookies) to 15 minutes (for really large cookies, or really hard, crunchy cookies).

1 comment:

  1. Those hunks of chocolate are calling my name! I'll be making this recipe real soon. :-) Thanks for sharing with Tuesdays at the Table!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!