Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Cookies

A couple of years ago I was in Vienna for Easter and I wanted to make some sort of treat for my friends. I had an idea but I wasn't sure if it would work because there don't seem to be any other recipes like this out there. See, what I wanted to make was cookies that reminded me of Easter eggs - I wanted to use milk chocolate and marshmallows and I wanted to make the sweet and pink by using raspberry jam. I tried to look for similar recipes using google so that I could get the proportions right but all I could find were cookies that were sandwiched together with strawberry jam - does nobody else actually put jam in their cake batter and cookie doughs? I also couldn't find many recipes that bake cookies with marshmallows in them, and for good reason - the marshmallows melted and caramelised and made a huge mess. However, I was not using miniature marshmallows because I couldn't find any at my local supermarket - I just chopped up big ones. I thought that those little ones that you put in a hot drink would be better. They weren't. Unless the marshmallow was completely surrounded in dough it melted into a big pool of caramelised sugar. So I would suggest trying to locate hard 'marshmallow bits' that I have heard tell of, that don't melt away. Or leave out the marshmallow. Or put up with a sticky sugar mess. It's not so bad, unless you eat too much of the melted marshmallow. Like I did. Then  you'll be left with a tummy ache.



Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies

125 grams butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup raspberry jam
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
200 grams milk chocolate, chopped up
1 cup mini marshmallows (optional)
1 cup coconut
Icing sugar or cocoa powder (for rolling in)

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line a couple of cookie trays with non-stick paper (important for these cookies because the marshmallows might melt and stick to the tray).

In a large bowl, soften the butter, then add the sugar and beat with an electric mixer. Add the jam and the egg, beat some more.


Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa. Beat the mixture until everything is combined. Then add the chocolate, coconut and marshmallows and fold them into the mixture.


Scoop up teaspoon-sized balls of dough and drop onto a plate of icing sugar or cocoa powder (depends if you want your cookies to be pale in colour or dark, and if you like the taste of cocoa. Roll around until liberally covered, and as you do so try and press the marshmallows to the centre of the cookies so that they are all covered in dough, then place on the tray and flatten


Bake for about 15 minutes (depending on how big you make your cookies and whether you like them chewy or crisp).When you remove the tray from the oven you may find that some of the marshmallows have leaked out of the cookies and made sugary puddles. While the cookies are still warm and soft, remove them very carefully from the tray and place them on a wire rack to cool.


5 comments:

  1. Oh MY! These look amazing :). I would love for you to link up to my Linky Party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/show-me-what-you-got-linky-party-9.html

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those look good! I've had marshmellow mishaps too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my heck! These just sound absolutely amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaimie, these are awesome Easter Cookies! Hope you are having a wonderful Spring day. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! I Would love to have you link up to my 2 carnivals today....http://www.aroundmyfamilytable.com/2012/04/feed-your-soul-5/ (anything food related) and http://everydaymomcakes.com/sugar-me-up-5/ (deserts only). Hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!