Friday, May 25, 2012

Cupcakes for Two

Sometimes, on a Sunday afternoon, when you're feeling a bit bored or tired, it seems like a good idea to bake something. But the more you bake, the more you eat, and then you'll get fat. So sometimes it is nice to make something really small, just enough for one. A while back I tried to reduce some of my recipes to single servings but that doesn't always work. You can make cookie dough and freeze it, so that you only bake a few cookies at a time. But today I was walking through town and the cupcake cafe had some free samples to give away, after which I wanted to make cupcakes. There is a recipe in my list of recipes-to-try for making a tiny little cake in a tin can, by the Baker Chick, that I have been meaning to make for awhile. I even saved up some tin cans. But then, when it came right down to it, it seemed like a lot of effort to grease the inside of a tin can, when I could just put a paper liner in a muffin tin. So with the recipe for a tin-can cake I made two cupcakes (I coloured them red so that they would be sort of like red velvet cake) and I frosted them with dark chocolate. They were very good, but my efforts to reduce my junk-food intake by making a very small portion was sort of negated by my eating the rest of the chocolate frosting. Oh well.



Two Cupcakes

1 egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
A pinch of salt
1 1/2 teaspoons milk

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line two cupcake holes with paper liners.

In a small bowl whisk together the egg white and sugar. Add the melted butter and vanilla and whisk until combined. Stir in the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt and stir until smooth. Stir in the milk.

Spoon the batter into the two cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Let the cupcakes cool and frost with something yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!