Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Coconut Cream Brownies

You know those days when you really want something rich and chocolatey but there is not much in your cupboards and it's too rainy to go to the shop? Well, I had one of those days recently. All day people had been talking about chocolate brownies (it was just one of those days) and I needed movie-watching snacks, but then come home time it was raining so hard that I just couldn't face going to the supermarket. So I improvised. Ages and ages ago I tried to make a brownie with coconut cream because I was short on butter and eggs and I've been meaning to make the recipe better all this time, but never quite got around to it. Until now. Now I have figured out a recipe for a perfectly gooey, dark, rich chocolate brownie that uses coconut cream instead of butter, which makes it dairy free, but not really any healthier. However, it was absolutely delicious and what is the point of brownie if it is healthy anyway? This particular brownie was quite good fresh out of the oven, but even better cold the next day.



Coconut Cream Brownie

1 cup coconut cream
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
100 grams chopped dark chocolate
100 grams chopped white chocolate

First of all, when I say coconut cream I mean the thick stuff that separates and sits at the top of a can of good quality coconut milk. I do not mean that really hard cream of coconut stuff that you use in curry.


So to begin with, turn the oven on to 180 degrees celsius and line a brownie pan with baking paper. Then combine the coconut cream and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Add the eggs and vanilla essence and mix again until smooth.

Now add the remaining ingredients (you don't need to worry about sifting the flour). Mix well, until everything is combined and no pockets of flour remain. Then pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaimie,
    These Brownies looks fabulous, sure wish I had one right now! Hope you are having a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic! I did make the alteration of using a half rice+quinoa flour mix instead of regular flour mixbecause I am gluten intolerant and they turned out great! Thanks for sharing this recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!