Thursday, July 19, 2012

Popcorn with Brown Butter


This month's improv challenge by Frugal Antics is corn & butter and I have chosen to be very lazy and do something very simple. I was going to try the corn cookies that I saw on a couple of other blogs, which feature ground up freeze-dried sweetcorn, but I couldn't get any freeze-dried sweetcorn. There was one stockist on ebay but it would have cost me 30 euro for just 200 grams and I spend enough on my baking as it is. So what sort of food did I choose to make with corn and butter that would be easy and satisfy my sweet tooth? I made popcorn! I smothered in in brown butter and added a little cinnamon and sugar and then took it along to the cinema with me!

So first, to make the brown butter, take about 100 grams of butter and put it in a microwave safe bowl or jug, with a lot of room to spare because it will rise up and get frothy.


Place a lid or plate on the top and microwave on high for about 4 or 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it because you don't want to over cook it - if it is dark brown/blackish when you take it out it is burnt and you really don't want to try that! It should look golden when you take it out, and continue to darken to a toasty brown as it cools. Plus it will smell really good.


Now, while the butter cools you can cook your popcorn, whatever way suits you best. Microwave popcorn suits me best.

In a little bowl combine a 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (or just a large pinch) with about a tablespoon of brown sugar.


Finally, it's time to put it all together into one delicious snack. Pour your popcorn into a bowl. Pour over some brown butter and give it a good shake. Sprinkle on some cinnamon-sugar and give it another shake. Then repeat with the butter, and more sugar, until it is all well coated and tastes good.


Now below you can see all the other cooking entries and, sadly, somebody else had the exact same idea as me! Brown butter and brown sugar. That's the first time that's happened to me, usually I'm a bit more unique. But it's OK because this popcorn is really, really good and I will be making it again and again and again!

7 comments:

  1. Everything is better with browned butter. I think this is the perfect snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A completely microwave-able treat -- BAM! That looks so delicious, Jaimie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol We made the same thing! How fun! Cheers to brown butter on popcorn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe! I've never tried browned butter on popcorn. Sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore kettle corn and this is a fun twist on that. I eat stove popped popcorn at least 2 times a week - look forward to trying this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popcorn is one of my favorite foods and with the cinnamon & brown butter...well double YUM!

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Improv Cooking Challenge entry: Fritos Crusted Pollock.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!