Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Double Chocolate Orange Tofu Pie


What do you make for dessert when all of the evening's food has an asian theme? What began as a sushi night turned into a general asian food night, with spring rolls and satay chicken and all sorts of dipping sauces (there will be more on this in a couple of days). My plan was to make fresh spring rolls, and I saw one example on the internet that had tofu in them. However, the tofu that I bought was silken tofu and not right for frying or anything like that. So then I thought, what can I do with it? I was going to make it into a creamy sauce to combine all of the ingredients for the spring rolls, but then I found a dessert idea and there was no going back. I really, highly recommend this, it was absolutely amazing, far better than a custard-based chocolate pie.


Of course, I had heard of tofu-based desserts before, but it's just not an ingredient that I generally have lying around, so I never bothered with it. I always intended to though. There is a dessert blog that I follow that is dedicated to healthy desserts, but that chocolate pie was too healthy. I needed one with real chocolate in it, and a biscuit base. I adapted mine from two different recipes and whipped out my brand new hand blender to mix it up (I had to get a new one because the old one was really crappy and when I tried to fix it I cut my thumb to bits - not literally though, it was just cut a little). Anyway, to get back to the point, which is chocolate upon chocolate, after filling my chocolate biscuit base with chocolate-orange tofu filling I thought that it needed just a little something more, and I had some leftover cinema candy that I kept nibbling at and just had to get rid of. So I scattered it over the pie so that some mouthfuls will have a bit of crunch to them!


Chocolate Tofu Pie
Adapted from this recipe and this recipe
*This recipe can easily be dairy-free and vegan, simply make sure to use margerine instead of butter in the base, dairy-free cookies (a lot of cookies use vegetable fat instead of butter, or make your own) and proper dark chocolate with no dairy in it.

400 grams chocolate biscuits
150 grams butter (or combination of butter and margerine, or only margerine)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
220 grams chocolate (I used Aero orange)
1/2 cup cocoa powder (only if you're not using dark chocolate)
1/4 cup kahlua (or other liquer, or leave it out completely)
350 grams silken tofu

First, crush up the biscuits really well. If you have a food processor, great. Simply throw them in there and process them until they are crumbs. Then add the butter and continue to process it until the mixture is homogenous. If you have no food processor, you will have to combine it with your hands. It will work, but won't be so finely textured.


Press the crumb mixture into a pie dish and place it in the fridge.


Next, melt your chocolate over a double boiler. I used Aero orange because it was discounted but I don't really recommend it because it's mostly some sort of vegetable-fat based filling, with very little chocolate. My recommendation is to use real chocolate, preferably dark, like the lindt orange chocolate. Or add your own flavouring.


Anyway, like I was saying, melt the chocolate over the double boiler, stirring, until it is smooth. If you are not using good dark chocolate and want a richer taste add the cocoa powder and stir it into the melted chocolate. Then remove the chocolate from the double boiler and add the kahlua (if you are using it) and the tofu. If you have a blender (or a food processor will do the trick) pour the whole lot into that.


The next step is to blend the mixture together really well, until it is completely smooth. I used my hand blender and it worked just fine (and it only cost me 6.50). However, first I tried just using my electric egg beater and that didn't really work at all so if you don't have some sort of blender your filling will be sort of chunky looking. I hope that you do have a blender because the smooth filling just looks so amazingly delectable:


Clearly, judging by the above picture, the next step is to pour the filling into the prepared base. Then you are done, and can chill it for a few hours (I always recommend overnight for this type of thing, just in case). Or, you can decorate it somewhat before chilling. I had Minstrels leftover from the cinema (went to see Ted, and it wasn't so great as people made out. Just moderately good). If you don't know what Minstrel's are, you're really missing out. I will miss them when I leave Ireland:


They are sort of like giant Smarties or M&Ms, with a thick disc of realy good Galaxy milk chocolate, covered in a chocolate-flavoured hard candy shell. They are so yum! So yum that I couldn't stop eating them. So they had to go. And what better place to dispose of Minstrels than on top of a chocolate pie?

5 comments:

  1. It looks wonderful and sounds weird. But it's a "lovely weird" - if you know what I mean. Something I'd definitely want to try
    Thank you for sharing this :)
    Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  2. well that looks really good, and I so want to try those candies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never cooked with tofu. This looks so amazing, I am going to buy some and try this! Thank you for sharing on Thursday's Treasures Week 47. Looking forward to more amazing recipes! <3 and hugs! http://www.recipesformyboys.com/2012/08/thursdays-treasures-week-47.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!