Friday, August 3, 2012

Eggplant Soup

Do you ever have the problem of wanting to eat lots of vegetables but not actually liking all of them so much? I have that problem quite a lot. I really like the idea of eating eggplant, and it's such a pretty colour, but I just don't like it much. I don't like the texture and I don't like the taste, but I also don't want to give up on having a lot of variety in my diet. So what is the answer? The answer to making all vegetables delicious is always soup! After turning too many courgettes into a really delicious courgette soup I saw a recipe for eggplant and tomato soup, so I just had to give eggplants another chance. However, the recipe title was for roasted eggplant and tomato soup and there was no roasting involved in the recipe, so I went back to the blogger's source, which was a blog all about soup! It is called Seriously Soupy and the website appears to have been upgraded, which for some reason means that the author's multitude of soup recipes are know very difficult to find, and when I finally did find an index list of all the recipes, this particular one was not on it! So that was weird. But I had a good browse of other soup recipes and then made the soup by my own method, simply by roasting everything first, and I gotta say that eggplant is very edible in soup form. So for any other people out there who love the look of this vegetable but not the taste, you should turn it into soup.


Roasted Eggplant and Tomato Soup
from Judy the Foody

1 eggplant
1 kilo tomatoes
2 red peppers
5 cloves garlic
1 large onion
Salt and pepper
1 handful fresh basil
1 1/2 cups water

Heat the oven to about 200 degrees celsius.


Chop the vegetables into small-ish pieces and spread over a large roasting dish. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and roast for about 40 minutes, until the eggplant is soft. You don't really need any oil because the tomatoes will lose a lot of water, which will stop everything from sticking anyway.


When the vegetables are all soft, tip them into a large saucepan. Chop the basil finely and then add the basil and the water to the saucepan. Bring it to the boil and let it simmer for a little as you taste it and season it with more salt and pepper if necessary. Then you can either serve it up immediately as a chunky soup or blend it first. I would recommend serving it with fresh, crusty bread.

4 comments:

  1. I’m making this tonight. In fact, I’m going to the grocery store to gather ingredients RIGHT NOW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love eggplant. I'm really looking forward to trying this soup. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a huge eggplant hater. lol. But because you didn't like them either, I will give this one a try. :) Thanks for linking to Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!