Sunday, September 16, 2012

Apple Swirl Bread


A while ago I decided to have a go at Amish friendship bread. I'd heard about it along time ago and then recently it came up again somehow, maybe I saw it on a blog or something. Anyway, I found a recipe and over two weeks made the starter (see how here) and then began experimenting with making the bread. First I tried the simple cinnamon bread as laid out in the recipe that goes with the starter. Then I tried it again, but after freezing my starter. It still worked just fine. So then I began mixing it up. First I made it into banana bread, which I will put instructions for below but really isn't the point of this post. It was quite good. However, this post is about my second adaptation of friendship bread, apple cinnamon bread, and it is amazing. It just gets better and better, three days after baking it's still soft and moist and the flavour is even better, it that's possible. At four days it finally started to dry out a bit so definitely share it around before then.


The inspiration for this came from a blog hop, called Chocolate Party, which this month requires a recipe that uses apple and chocolate. I already have recipes for apple cake, cookies and muffins and I was wondering what to make. Then it hit me (not literally) - make bread! But how to include chocolate? In my opinion dark and milk chocolate just don't really go with apple that well. I wanted to use white chocolate. But I didn't want too much because I wanted it to be bread-like. Ages ago I made this pumpkin swirl cake, so I decided to do the same thing, only add melted chocolate to the cream cheese before swirling it on top. The result was amazing! I could eat it all day. Everybody at work loved it, and hopefully the technicians will remember it next time I need a favour (which is most days at the moment). So the hardest part about this recipe is the starter, but that's not hard at all, you just have to get around to making it (all you have to do really is stir it once a day for 2 weeks), and then store cup-fulls in the freezer, then bring them back to room temperature and go on with the recipe.

Apple Swirl Bread

1 cup friendship bread starter
1/3 cup oil
1 cup apple puree
1 egg
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon (or less if you're not such a big fan)
Topping:
150 grams white chocolate
200 grams cream cheese
1 egg

Once you have your starter, the rest of this recipe is really simple. First, of course, heat the oven to about 180 degrees celsius. Then prepare a loaf tin. And prepare your apple puree if you are making your own. Also prepare the topping beforehand, by melting the chocolate in the microwave, or on the stove top, and then adding the cream cheese and the egg and mixing together really well.

Now that everything is ready, simple take a large bowl and whisk in all of the ingredients, in the order specified. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin (it will rise plenty, so only fill it to between 1/2 and 3/4 full, and if there is too much mixture just spoon some into a muffin tin).

Spoon the chocolate mixture on top, then swirl around just a little with a knife.

Bake the loaf for about 45 minutes to an hour, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let it cool, then slice it, or wrap it up and save it for the next day, because it will be just as good later.

3 comments:

  1. That looks so nice, it makes my mouth water. I have never heard of the bread starter, I'll have to have a look at how to do that. Love apples in baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of the starter either but that loaf looks tasty! Thanks for linking up at meltingmoments.info
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jamie, wonderful looking loaf of bread you got here.
    Thanks for bringing it to the party! One of the linking requirements is to upload the #chocolateparty logo. You can download it form here http://www.flickr.com/photos/68661990@N06/7903974866/in/set-72157631344862240/

    Much appreciated,
    Roxana

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!