Thursday, September 20, 2012

Zucchini Improv Challenge

This is the second version of Amish Friendship bread that I have posted now and each time I make it I like it more. It is just so easy to make and it turns out so nicely all the time. The initial effort of making the starter was definitely worth it, especially seeing as it was hardly any effort at all. I just need more people to give it to so that I always have an excuse to make it. This time around I have included grated zucchini and switched the sugar to brown to make it richer and also to fit in with the Improv challenge. At first when I saw the challenge I was a bit worried about what to make, because while I have been meaning to have a go at zucchini chocolate cake or brownies, I figured other people would surely be doing that and I like to be different. Hopefully this is different and interesting enough. If it's not, that's OK too, because I have a yummy loaf of zucchini bread to eat.


Zucchini Friendship Bread with Streusel topping


1 cup friendship bread starter
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup (1 large) grated zucchini/courgette
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Streusel topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2-3 tablespoons butter

First, preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius and  prepare a loaf tin by greasing it or lining it with baking paper.

In a large bowl mix all of the ingredients together in the order listed above (except for the topping of course). Mix well, so that no pockets of flour remain. Then pour the mixture into the loaf tin.

Prepare the topping by mixing together the flour and sugar, then rubbing the butter in until it is sort of crumbly. Then simply sprinkle it all over the top of your loaf.

Bake the loaf for an hour, then let it cool completely before you cut into it.

4 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmm -- your recipe sounds like a delicious rendition of friendship bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zucchini bread and this one sounds so interesting! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great friendship bread, looks delicious.

    Lisa~~
    my entry: Zucchini with Onions & Brown Sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great adaptation to the friendship bread!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!