Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Banana Friendship-Bread Muffins

Most of my posts lately have been about sweet things. That's not because I am only eating sweets, it's just that the normal food I am cooking is nothing new and special. Though it might also be because I am eating too much junk food. I'm now determined to cut down on the sweets and be healthy again. I guess I will just have to share even more of what I bake so that there is less left for me. Today I have gone back to my Amish friendship-bread starter, which I now keep in the fridge so that I don't have to use it so much. The problem with making a loaf of sweet bread is that it is too easy to have a second slice, and then a third slice, and before you know it you have eaten it all. So today I have made Amish friendship-bread muffins. It worked perfectly and now my friendship-bread is already divided into controlled portions, so hopefully I can stick to my one-treat-per-day rule. This version of the friendship-bread features bananas and it is delicious! The outside is sort of sugary and crunchy and the inside is soft and full of flavour.


Banana Friendship-Bread Muffins


1 cup Amish friendship-bread starter
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 small mashed bananas

Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees celsius and line 15 muffins holes with paper liners.

In a large bowl combine the ingredients in the order listed, mixing well after each addition. Unlike normal muffins, it is OK to mix these properly instead of just gently folding the wet and dry ingredients together. Which makes these easier and faster than normal muffins, and you only need one bowl.

Spoon the mixture into the lined muffin tins, filling each hole up nearly to the top. Maybe 3/4 full or a little bit more.

Bake the muffins for about half and hour (sorry I can't be more exact but it will depend on your oven and I forgot to keep proper track of the time). Check if they are done by inserting a skewer into the centre- it should come out clean. They will get quite dark in colour but don't take them out when they are still wet in the middle. It seems like a long cooking time - that is because technically this is bread and not a muffin.

I got a lot of really good comments about these so I really recommend that you try them.

(makes 15 muffins/220 calories per muffin)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaimie,
    Your Banana Friendship Bread Muffins look delicious. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!