Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oatmeal & Raisins

Today brings us yet another improv challenge from Frugal Antics and this month's ingredients are oatmeal and raisins. Now I already have plenty of recipes featuring these two ingredients but I guess another won't hurt. British flapjacks are oatie cookie-bars and must be about the easiest thing I have ever made. Which is perfect because at the moment I really just don't have the time. I have a thesis to finish and a deadline (a self-imposed one) of two months. Because after that I am flying home for Christmas and I would really like to not have the thesis looming over my head at the point. Needless to say, I am currently under a lot of pressure and so stressed that I feel sick in my stomach most of the time. Which means that for the next couple of months the blog posts might be few and far between, and perhaps short like this one. I can't wait until it is all over. And I'm really looking forward to getting some NZ summer, after the non-existant summer that Ireland had this year.

Anyway, on to the recipe...


Raisin Flapjack with Yoghurt Cheese Topping
(makes 20 slices at 165 calories each)

150 grams butter
6 tablespoons golden syrup
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup raisins
250 mL plain yoghurt
1 cup icing sugar

First, for this recipe, you have to begin the night before. To make the yoghurt topping you need to first strain the yoghurt to make it into something resembling cream cheese. To do this, take a small bowl and sit a sifter into it. Lay a couple of pieces of fine cheesecloth or linen into the sifter and then pour in the yoghurt. Tie the fabric up around the yoghurt with a rubber band or piece of string and then let the yoghurt sit in the sifter in the fridge overnight. The liquid will drip out into the bowl. In the morning, dispose of the liquid and unwrap the yoghurt cheese.

For the flapjacks, preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepare a shallow, rectangular cake tin, about 30 cm by 20 cm.

Take a large bowl and mix together the oats and raisins. Then place the butter and golden syrup in a small bowl and microwave until the butter is melted. Add to the oats and mix together really well with your hands.

Press the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Meanwhile, take the yoghurt cheese and place it in a medium sized bowl. Sift the icing sugar into the bowl and mix together well, to make a thin glaze-like icing. Spread this on the cooled flapjack and let it set for awhile. Then slice the flapjack into about 20 slices.

9 comments:

  1. I wonder: if you use Greek yogurt can you skip the draining process? Since it's already thick? These bars look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for your comment! I think even with greek yoghurt you would need to strain it, but maybe not for as long. The youghurt-cheese that you get after straining is really thick and solid.
      Also, the bars were really super tasty, I recommend everyone try them :)

      Delete
  2. I love making yogurt cheese! (I've even made cheese with my kefir...)
    Can I ask what is "golden syrup"? Is that what we would call "light corn syrup"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! I don't think golden syrup is the same as corn syrup - does corn syrup have a flavour? Golden syrup does, it's sort of like brown sugar in liquid form. But it is much lighter and sweeter than molasses. I think it is something that is leftover from the sugar refining process. My dad used to let us eat it on toast, like honey. Perhaps you could use a combination of light corn syrup and soft brown sugar, to get the same flavour? Or look out for British stuff in the foreign food section - it's in a green and gold tin.

      Delete
  3. Mmmmm... this looks like it would be a tasty treat when you need a little pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy and tasty is the best combo, yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had British type flapjacks and these look delish! Good luck with your thesis :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool to see how different a British flapjack is from those in the USA. Those bars look mighty delicious. Sorry to hear about your stress and hope things look brighter soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!