Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Frosted Cupcakes

It has been a whole week since I have posted, and just as long since I have baked! How have I continued to survive without baking I don't know. I guess for one thing, last week's flapjacks lasted all through the weekend and the beginning of this week, to satisfyy sweet tooth. Then last Sunday I was at a friend's house for dinner where I learnt that green jelly from Germany is not lime flavour like everywhere else! It is woodruff flavour and really yummy, especially when you eat it with a very generous drizzle of sweetened condensed milk! However I really can't just continue not baking, especially when a friend of mine is off to America for an exchange programme and by the time she gets back I will have gone back to New Zealand. Before she goes she had to have one last cupcake from me. So this week's creation is for Autumn and Halloween - chocolate fudge cupcakes with spiced pumpkin buttercream! Which, coincidentally, fit into this month's #chocolateparty, but I wish I could take better photos for these blog-hops and linky-parties.



On a completely separate note, I saw this book featured on another food blog (the baker chick) and I want it. I hardly ever bother with cookbooks - most my recipes come from the internet or straight out of my head. But this one is just too cute and is bound to be full of inspiration; I love tiny little mini food! But the giveaway for it was only open to the States, as usual. I clearly need to follow more blogs closer to home so that I can take part in their giveaways. It's my birthday soon so this is going to be my present to myself. Then I'm going to invite people over and feed them tiny food. I can't wait!

For now though, cupcakes are as tiny as it gets. This time around my favourite recipe has been changed a little, because I was out of a few ingredients. I subsitituted light brown sugar for caster sugar and sour cream for milk. I also learnt that even though some people swear by using shortening for cakes, I don't like it. Or at least, I don't like the white stuff. The one that is yellow like butter is OK, but I will not use the white shortening again. What is the point in baking if the batter isn't good to eat? It tasted sort of like oreo-filling; not bad, but not amazing. The cupcakes turned out dense and heavy, not like my usual ones at all. The frosting I had to scrap and try a second time.

Dark Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes

125 grams butter
1/2 cup soft light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 eggs
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup light sour cream
100 grams fudge chunks

Now there are no photos to go along today, because I had a bad baking day and everything went wrong and I forgot. But soon I will finish my PhD and hopefully my life will be nicer and less stressful and I will have time to make my blog posts better. Until then, here is the unadorned recipe:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper liners.

Beat together the softened butter with the light brown sugar. Add the vanilla essence and the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift in the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder. Mix it well, then add the sour cream and beat until it is smooth. Stir in the fudge chunks and spoon the mixture into the prepared tin.

Bake for 20 minutes and then let them cool completely before frosting.

Pumpkin Pie Frosting

125 grams butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
2 cups sifted icing sugar
1/3 cup pumpkin puree
Orange food colouring (preferable paste or powder)

Now this was tricky because adding pumpkin puree to buttercream frosting made it runny. That's why there's not actually much pumpkin in it at all, sadly. Plus the spices made it go brown and I wanted it orange but you can leave out the food colouring if you want.

So to get on with it, beat the butter a little, then begin to sift in the spices and icing sugar. Keep beating in the icing sugar until the mixture is thick (thicker than frosting should be). Then add the pumpkin puree and beat it again. Add a little bit of food colour, until the colour is right. Then if the frosting is not thick enough sift in more icing sugar.


(makes 12 frosted cupcakes, about 360 calories each )

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaimie,
    Your Pumpkin Pie Frosted Cupcakes look delicious, hope you saved me one. Hope you had a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!