Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Easy Butter Chicken

I am finally back online, after having no opportunity to post in over a week! Seems like ages. It wasn't just that I was really busy either - blogger began telling me that I had filled up all my space for storing pictures. What a nightmare! There is no obvious solution either, because google would rather you pay them money for more space. But after scrolling around the internet for a bit I came across one blogger that said she had signed up for google plus and in doing so been given more storage space. I'm not sure if that's really true, but I signed up anyway. Today I was able to upload photos again, yay, but I'm not sure if it was on account of having a google plus account or having deleted some unnecessary images. But then there are a lot of sources that say blogger pictures are compressed and don't take up any of your storage allowance - well that's clearly not true, all it takes is a quick look to see that these photos are indeed taking up space. So I'll probably run out again soon and then I don't know what I'll do. Stupid google.

But now on to a better topic - food. Today we have a recipe for an easy approximation of butter chicken. I altered the recipe somewhat, adding ground almonds because I was sure that they were a key ingredient of butter chicken (I'm still not sure if they really are or not) and swapping the yoghurt for coconut milk. Then because I had a cold I added extra spice because apparently spicy food is good for a cold. I don't think it made a difference really but it was yummy so that's all that matters. Unfortunately I am still no good at taking food photos - it's really not helped by the short days here, taking the photos at night time leaves them looking sort of yellowish. But you can just take my word for it that the meal was good. I boiled my rice with chopped up sun-dried tomatoes (the type that are actually dry, not in oil), on the advice of a friend, and it was a really good way to make rice more interesting.

Easy Butter Chicken
from Hezzi D's

2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon crushed ginger
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup ground almonds
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
500 grams chicken breasts, chopped into cubes
1/2 cup plain yoghurt or 1 can coconut milk

Heat the oil in a large pan, then cook the onion, garlic and ginger on medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent. Then add the tomato paste, almonds, sugar and spices. Cook for another couple of minutes, until you can smell the spices.

Add the chicken and cook until the outside of the chicken has browned a little. Then add the yoghurt of coconut milk, whichever you are using, and stir it in until it is well combined. Turn the heat down and let it all simmer until the liquid has reduced somewhat and the chicken is cooked all the way through.

Serve on rice, or cous-cous, with naan bread if you have it, and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!