Monday, June 3, 2013

Banana Cake

Somehow I have gone all this time without dedicating a post to banana cake. A staple in NZ, it was not a common cafe treat over in Ireland, so I guess I just forgot about it. I think my recipe probably comes from the Edmond's cookbook, but my version is slightly altered, probably to suit my tastes and what was in my kitchen cupboard when I wrote down the recipe. On this particular occasion my banana cake wasn't perfect, on account of the electric egg beater dying halfway through mixing the butter. It had been on its last legs for awhile, clearly struggling to do its job, not to mention the blue sparks. This time, though, I knew that it was time to stop when I noticed a little bit of smoke coming out of the vent at the front. So my butter and sugar were not fully creamed, but I forged on ahead, adding more ingredients. Perhaps I should have melted the butter/sugar instead of just continuing, because as I mixed in the other ingredients I noticed quite large blobs of butter in the batter. But after adding the eggs it was too late so I kept on going and the cake turned out well enough - although I really would recommend making sure to cream the butter and sugar properly. This particular banana cake doesn't have the usual chocolate icing; instead I sprinkled it with chopped nuts and chocolate chips before baking, and topped it with my homemade chocolate fudge sauce.




Banana Cake

125 grams butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1/4 cup boiling milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sour cream

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and prepare a square tin (I think mine was about 25 by 25 cm). If you have your over-ripe bananas in the freezer, take them out and let them soften a bit.


Place the butter in a large bowl and soften in the microwave. Add the sugar and cream the two together until there are no lumps of butter. Then add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Add the mashed banana and beat well again.

The next step is probably not entirely necessary. According to my old recipe, you should heat the milk and then dissolve the baking soda in it - however, these days I am lazy and I often just throw everything in and mix it well. It seems to work just fine. Whatever you do, the next step is to mix in the milk and baking soda.

Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into the mixture and stir well. Add the sour cream and keep on mixing until the mixture is smooth. Then pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

3 comments:

  1. When do you add the boiling water???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no water in it, you use boiling milk :) There was a mistake in the ingredient list though, and your comment made me go back and find it, so thanks :)

      Delete
  2. Jaimie, just popped over to let you know that your link to Food on Friday: Mushrooms was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series today. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there wonderful reader! If you've liked what you see here or have anything to say whatsover, please do so because I would love to hear from you!